My daughter is 18 days old...everytime she tries to poop or pass gas she always puts up a big fuss..crying (only time she really cries too!), bunches up her legs, tummy is all tight...wakes her up out of a nice sleep too... then when she finally goes shes okay... we've tried gas relief drops, walking around, rubbing her tummy..etc..but, its like this quite a few times a day, does anyone have any advice?

LizsMommy08

Asked by LizsMommy08 at 4:02 AM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breast or formula? If the first, there are a few things to look into...check out kellymom.com for the article on gassiness in baby. Overactive letdown and mom's diet are the two biggest reasons.

If formula, you may need to experiment a bit to find a formula that won't make her gassy.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:07 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• My month old gets like that too. I usually give him his mylicon and rub his tummy. If he doesn't feel better I run a warm bath for both of us and we just sit and cuddle in the tub. I submerge him til just his head is out of the water and I rub his tummy and sway him in the water. That usually does the trick.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 4:24 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• my baby does this to all the time and he is 22 days old the only problem is we cant change his formula because he is allergic to everything else we found that out in the hospital he had an allergic reaction to the formula and stop breathing. i cant find anything to help him
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 12:07 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• She may need a new formula, if youre breast feeding, im not sure. My dd had the same issue and we went through three different kinds and finally got things right with Alimentum. Take her the doctor and let them decide which formula will be best for her.
    Mommy_of_two_85

Answer by Mommy_of_two_85 at 12:33 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• It may be something that you really cant help my son has this problem where he grunts the whole time that he's trying to go poop like he's having the hardest time going however it is just a stage that he will go through it's not bad it's just something that your child will have to go through in life at one time or another and apparently his time is now....
    WhitAndAnt

Answer by WhitAndAnt at 10:40 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• could be reflux...my son did the same thing. he had reflux, and he has also always had the problem of hard poopies. he takes lactulose to help, which is just a sugar concentrate. ask your pediatrician. if you have a video camera, record it and show the doc. that's what i did. hope this helps!
    tstep972

Answer by tstep972 at 10:51 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I hate to tell you, but I think babies are just like that. Their intestines are paper thin, so it's just hard to pass things. Just try your best to soothe her and remember it gets better around 2 1/2-3months.
    Liz_24

Answer by Liz_24 at 10:58 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I am breastfeeding.... and have used the Mylicon...
    LizsMommy08

Answer by LizsMommy08 at 12:09 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Mylicon and gripe water did nothing to help my breastfed son with a condition similar to your child's. He was finally diagnosed with reflux last Tuesday.
    Anonymous