Do you help your husband with his work?

I see a lot of questions and complaints about women, mainly SAHM that are infuriated because their DH doesn't help with the household chores. So I need to ask, do you go and help your husband at his job? Do you help or go in and clean the garage or shed? Do you fix the car? Do household repairs? Mow the lawn? This is for those of you that have a DH at home, not an OTR or a single mom that has no other choice but to do it all yourself.

attap5

Asked by attap5 at 10:57 AM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Relationships

• I do, we're best friends. We stand next to each other pulling weeds and doing the yardwork. We have a carpet cleaning business so we pretty much connect when it comes to work. It's all about getting what we want for the family. Working together helps make it all possible.
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 11:01 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Well he helps make the mess and he can help! Running the house is not just the moms job!! If you are a SAHM yes you will do more but he needs to help....I am NOW a single mom because I am tired of the crap where whether I work or stay home I am expected to do it all. We just broke upand now he clean and does his laundry and its quite funny!
    serenityspeaks

Answer by serenityspeaks at 11:03 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I do help him with his work. I go in and help organize and clean his classroom. I have marked tests and assignments when he is swamped. We brainstorm lesson plans together and I teach an art club for his kids on Friday after school.
    He does help me with the chores and the kids at home. We share all of our work because we are a team and that's what you do when you are married, you support each other.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 11:06 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• well to answer your question....my husband doesn't fix the car, the mechanic does. he doesn't clean the garage, i do. he doesn't do household repairs, i do. he doesn't mow the lawn, the lawn guy does that. i DO have a hubby at home. i do not go to his job....i am not a doctor. so i don't expect him to do anything here.....i do it myself. it would be nice if he could help me by putting his dirty clothes in the hamper or putting the dishes in the dishwasher when he's done, but i wouldn't say that's expecting him to help me with chores. i don't go to his job and make it harder, i don't think that he should come here and make mine harder either. i think that your question was rather spiteful though
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:07 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Unless the husband in question is a crab fisherman or coal miner, the job of a SAHM is more difficult and has longer hours. I'm the breadwinning partner and he's a SAHD. Do I put in a few hours of work at home with the chores and kids after my 12-hour work shift? You better believe I do, that job is never-ending thankless drudgery and he needs help. I live, eat, sleep and shit here, it's both logical and fair that I do my part around here. The same goes for men too.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:11 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I agree that they should be picking up after themselves. It's not a difficult task or extra work to throw your clothes in the hamper or take your cup to the sink. Or PUT THE TOILET LID DOWN AFTER USING IT lol.
    attap5

Comment by attap5 (original poster) at 11:18 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I do. I mow the lawn, read over his ideas to present at work, help him come up with new ideas, I fixed a broken sink once, sweep the garage, rearranged the garage, etc... so yes
    BitsMom00

Answer by BitsMom00 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Yes, I do. I wash his uniforms, I've taken his jump boots to be shined, even though the lady f*cked them up. I spit shined his boots once, when he was dead tired during Air Assult school. I helped him pack for PLDC. I help him get his gear ready. I help him pack for other things, I help him look for gear when he waits till the last min. I cut his hair every week because the barbers always f*ck up his hair.
    I have helped him rebuild a transmission. I helped him put a transmission and engine back in a car. I helped him replace a power steering pump, because his friend bailed, and, I worked better with him anyway. AND, I went back and forth to the parts storeS to get parts.
    I help him plenty. I have been able to get things done he couldn't because he got himself all pissed off.
    Yes, I have helped him plenty, there is more that I haven't listed, I'm sure. Like errands. We work well together.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 12:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I think the question is a little unfair. SAHMs are mothers, cooks, gardeners, mechanics, carpenters, plumbers, electricians, laundresses, seamstresses, chefs, and on and on the list goes. Taking care of the house and children isn't just one job. Husbands usually only have to focus on their single job at work. SAHMs have to try to do multiple jobs at once. So yeah, SAHMs can expect a little help from their husbands since the workload is much heavier for the SAHMs. Don't forget that SAHMs hours are 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Don't they deserve some time off too? The husbands usually only have to work 8 hour shifts for 5 days a week (some more/some less). Doesn't seem like even with help that being a stay at home mom is a fair trade. Marriage is supposed to be a partnership, and that means sharing the burdens. BTW, I am not a SAHM. I work full-time and go to school.
    momofkids

Answer by momofkids at 12:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I agree with momofkids that marriage is supposed to be a partnership. In my honest opinion, I think its genuinely acceptable for stay-at-home mothers to be infuriated because their husbands don't help out around the house. Just because he works during the day doesn't mean that his responsibilities toward his home and his children disappear. I think its important for couples to work together as best they can in order for their families to thrive. I think that if I'm responsible for a major chunk of cleaning and child-rearing during the day, the least my husband can do are the quick, smaller chores or maybe even give me a chance to have some time to myself. That also goes to say that I do my best to make sure I keep my nagging under control. I at least let him walk through the door and transition from work to home. That works for us.
    LemonLimeyify

Answer by LemonLimeyify at 1:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2011