9 yr old daughter so constipated that she cant go for a whole week

My daughter is 9 and has been having trouble going (number 2 ) for a few years now. I have taken her to the dr for it and they gave her some miralax. She normally only goes once a week. I have to ask her daily if she has gone so i can keep track. Last night she had a belly ache and she asked me if i could rub her tummy. So i did and when i was rubbing it i kinda pushed down and i could feel all the poo in her belly.
I feel so bad for her. I know that its not good to have it stay in there like that for that long. I almost feel like its so blocked that shes going to end up having surgery to flush it all out.
Have any of you had this happen with your child??? I dont know what to do for her and the Miralax doesnt really help.

Amberlovesher3

Asked by Amberlovesher3 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Health

• I would make her drink prune juice everyday. I drank mine 1/3 prune juice, 2/3 V8 vege. I would also restrict her diet to liquids until she is unclogged. If you really want her to get her bowels moving make her do some yoga, but I would do it from home with a yoga cd/tape in case she has to go during the process. I had that issue after my c-section and that is what i did to unclog my bowels.
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 11:32 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• TWO WORDS, PRUNE JUICE!!!!!! GIVE HER A WHOLE GLASS TO DRINK ON AN EMPTY STOMACH WORKS EVERY TIME I HAVE TO DRINK 8 OZ EVERY MORNING, THEN WAIT 30 MIN AND DRINK A FULL GLASS OF WATER SHE WILL FIRST GET ALOT OF GAS, THEN SHE WILL B GOING EVERYWHERRE GIVE HER SOME EVERY MORN FOR OCCASIONAL CONSTIPATION
    WHITELIGHTJENNY

Answer by WHITELIGHTJENNY at 11:36 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I forgot to mention to also increase her fiber intake and drink lots of fluids. Young women for some reason are constantly dehydrated.
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 11:37 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• WHITELIGHTJENNY - turn off your CAP LOCK!! Stop yelling at everyone!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I was going to say prune juice also. Also, in the future, maybe make sure she gets enough fiber. Bran muffins, lots of veggies, maybe cereals with fiber, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Increase her fiber. Lots of fresh fruits and veggies, whole grain or whole wheat pastas and breads. Oatmeal, cheerios. Anything with added fiber. Lots of water. I would NOT limit her diet to liquids only, that will just add problems. She still needs to eat. If she is having that much of a problem, take her back to the doctor and demand something be done.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:52 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• First, I would find a new doctor. One that doesn't just hand out prescriptions, but asks questions and focuses on finding and treating the cause of the problem.

Look closely at her diet. She may have something going on in addition to (or other than) low fiber. Keep her well hydrated with liquids that are not high in sugar. Increase her fresh fruits (easy this time of year) and add as many veggies as she will eat, BUT, give her beano with the extra fiber, so she doesn't get a lot of gas (which can be really painful) on top of the constipation. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 11:58 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Probiotics. They keep the intestines healthy. They help a constipated person poop as well as bind up diarrhea. Not the stuff supposedly in foods, but a good quality capsule that needs to be refrigerated. It can be sprinkled over a bowl of applesauce (but needs tob e eaten immediately) and can start working within 1-2 hours. Taken daily they keep everything balanced and keep a person regular. My youngest needed them from 3 weeks til 15 months or he wouldn't go. It's much better & safer than things like miralax - it just reintroduces the good bacteria that keeps the bowels healthy & working properly.
    Anonymous

• Peaches, pears, prunes.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:18 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I am going to better explain my suggestion of a temporary liquid diet until your daughters stools break up. I see some people do not agree.

As food moves through the colon, the colon absorbs water from the food while it forms waste products, or stool. Muscle contractions in the colon then push the stool toward the rectum. By the time stool reaches the rectum it is solid, because most of the water has been absorbed. Constipation occurs when the colon absorbs too much water or if the colon’s muscle contractions are slow or sluggish, causing the stool to move through the colon too slowly. As a result, stools can become hard and dry.

So to fix this problem, you restrict your diet to liquids, only temporarily, until the stool softens up and your daughter can poop. Eating foods, even high in fiber will help but it will take longer.

Her colon muscle can be weakened by the over use of laxatives.
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 2:42 PM on Jun. 26, 2011