When should you let them cry it out???

So my 9 month old was doing great and had a wonderful schedule, but lately he has been waking up every other night and is up all night!! I am totally exhausted and don't know what to do. My mom says to let him cry but he still seems to just be up all night doing that. I need suggestions bad!! I thought it was cause he was teething but I give him tylenol and have ran out of ideas. When should I let him just cry it out?! Help please!!

mamacass030408

Asked by mamacass030408 at 4:33 AM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have you tried feeding him again? my baby gets up and the only thing that will put her back to sleep is a bottle so i prop one up and about 5 minutes later shes out and i take it out of her mouth and then shes asleep teh rest of the night.
    burtney0921

Answer by burtney0921 at 4:36 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Never! Crying it out is your child's first experience with abandonment. Try taking him in bed with you. Then before he wakes up fully you will feel him and can get him right back to sleep.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 6:12 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• When my so does that I give him a bottle in his crib, then I go back to sleep. If he's still not happy after he drinks his bottle then I bring him to bed with me. He's 8 months old. The coming to bed with mom thing is about to stop because I'm not going to teach him that he can make a sound and get what he wants. And I don't want it turned into a habit... I don't want him crawling in bed with us when he's 3 or 4. Its not abandonment... they have nasty words for everything. Its called self soothing.
    NewArrival

Answer by NewArrival at 7:32 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Never,
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 8:20 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Never.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:36 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Six months with all my kids.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:04 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Crying it out is not abandonment. It is a way to teach a child to self soothe themselves to sleep. Yes it is a little heartbreaking at first but it is a good thing. I did it with my son at about 7 months.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:07 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Never. How would you feel if someone left you alone to 'cry it out'?
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 9:08 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Never as a baby. When they are 9+ months, I think it's ok to let them "TIO" (tantrum it out). Example? When my daughter was 9 or 10 months old, she'd nurse to sleep, and I'd put her in her crib. Eventually, she'd wake as soon as I put her down and scream. I'd pick her up, and she'd fall back asleep. Rock her for a few, and put her down, and she'd immediately wake. Over and over. She was throwing temper tantrums because she only wanted me to hold her while sleeping. One day, I let her throw her tantrum, stayed beside her. She yelled (not much crying going on) for about 10 minutes and went to sleep. She knew I was beside her. The next night she took just a few minutes to settle down. Within a week, I was able to put her down, sleepy but awake, and she would go to sleep.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:28 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• it happens everytime my husband deploys.. I am left to cry... that doesn't mean he abandoned me
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:28 AM on Dec. 14, 2008