What do you take for constipation?

I've been really constipated since becoming pregnant. Im 10 weeks. What helps when your constipated and prego?

shar-hulk

Asked by shar-hulk at 11:28 AM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Investigate taking a daily Magnesium supplement.... Worked for me!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 11:31 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I know its awful but I had to down prune juice :o( It was the only thing that worked for me
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 11:33 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Your doctor should have gave you a list of stuff that you could take. I know that I took Fiber Bulk while I was pregnant. I would call to see what you can and can not take. GL!
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 11:35 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Prune juice and prenatal yoga!!!!

Also increase your fiber intake and drink lots of water!
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 11:36 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Never had prune juice...Is it nasty?
    shar-hulk

Comment by shar-hulk (original poster) at 11:37 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Take a long walk and drink a ton of apple juice. Also, a spoonful of olive oil before bed will get things moving.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 11:38 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Prune juice is nasty, just thinking about it makes me want to puke. lol
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 11:40 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I like the taste of prune juice - it's a little like flat Dr Pepper if you've ever had that. But I take milk of magnesia.

I had the same problem with my first pregnancy. My doctor recommended Metamucil and lots of water. (When you take a fiber supplement, you HAVE to have lots of water too -- so you don't develop a 'plug' of fiber.)

A big bowl of old fashioned oatmeal in the morning, and fresh fruits and lots of water throughout the day, kept me regular through my second pregnancy.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 11:43 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• A good probiotic - all natural, balances the flora of your intestines, keeps them healthy. Best thing you can do beyond upping your water & fiber intake. And by good probiotic, I mean capsules that need to be refrigerated - not the foods that supposedly have it in or other supplements - just a good pure probiotic from a health food store. They're also good for babies who are constipated.
    Anonymous

• FIBER and coffee! or lax tea GL
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 1:36 PM on Jun. 26, 2011