How do you supplement your Breast Feed baby with Formula

My LO's doc is telling me to nurse 15min on each side then offer my baby a bottle of formula. So how do you supplement?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 AM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Find a new doc, don't suppliment, it can be detrimental to your supply. Nurse you baby as long as he/she wants on both sides. There are many ways to up your supply. What is their reason for telling you to suppliment?
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 6:11 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I wouldn't. I'd find a doctor that knew what he was talking about. You shouldn't be using a clock. Nurse baby when they want to be nursed.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:42 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Why the heck would they tell you that? Nurse the baby on one breast until they come off themselves, then offer the second breast, if they take it, also nurse until they come off. Then, you can offer the first breast again if you want.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:11 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• you pour formula into a bottle and give it to the baby. what's so hard about that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• why not just breastfeed, why the bottle? is this a real question?
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 10:33 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• There is absolutely no reason to introduce formula. It sounds like your doctor just finished his weekly visit from the formula rep. It is so sad how doctors ruin breastfeeding relationships. Your doctor stating that you should time your feedings shows he is surely misinformed and uneducated about breastfeeding because rule #1 is NEVER look at the clock when breastfeeding, follow baby's cues.  Please do some research or contact a lactation consultant before introducing formula.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 12:00 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• What is annoying about all of these answers is they are dumb! How many of these mom's have given a bottle? So anti-bottle!
    I imagine your baby is having problems with eating or growing... maybe even loosing weight.. and they think it's more important to let your baby starve than to do what is best in the short term!
    You didn't say how old your baby is... but I am thinking probably a newborn.
    With my baby we gave him a breastflow bottle.. they work well. What happens more often than nipple confussion is flow confussion. So get a bottle made for breastfed babys with a slow nipple.
    Also, if you are going to give formula right now for a low supply... PUMP PUMP PUMP! Pump every time you give a bottle... and sometimes more if you need to. If you don't pump and just give the bottle your supply will suffer. It takes a lot of time to start with, but in the end it will all even out.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:10 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• In addition to the "clock watching" is for young babys if you allow them to eat well past a half hour each time, they will start to burn more calories than they are taking in. THAT is why a doctor would put a time limit to the breastfeeding if the baby is having troubles gaining, is low birth weight, or premature.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:12 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I have only found one study stating you should time your feedings. One study doesn't mean much, especially in a small 63 patient group. Are there additional findings regarding timing feedings because all the information about breastfeeding show that the longer baby is on one breast the more hindmilk baby receives (which is what will help 'fatten' baby up) and to never time feedings?

BTW a dumb answer is one based on anecdotal evidence ignoring the facts. All the facts point to the introduction of supplementing hindering a healthy breastfeeding relationship. Also there is more than one way to increase baby's weight. Formula is a medical intervention and unfortunately is used way too often by the misinformed.

Anonymous

• Yeah, what can be found on a google search isn't always as good as an education. My "studies" comes from working with infants in the hospital that have to be admitted because they have lost so much weight! Because breastfeeding isn't always working out and they need more time to establish a good breastfeeding relationship... it doesn't always work out so easily for all mom's a babys, some need to be supplemented, and not always with formula, if they are able to pump they can give that. It's not always a supply issue, sometimes the baby has troubles eating that need to be worked on. Shockingly not all babys know how to suck! They get their tounge wrong and suck and suck and get nothing! You don't know why her EDUCATED pediatrician wants to start supplementing... but I'm sure it's because all pediatricians would like to banish breastfeeding and only formula feed! right!?
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:27 PM on Dec. 14, 2008