When you go in labor ...

Are you going to get an epidural or natural birth? Which one is better? What do you do to help relax during the pain?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i had 3 kids and only had an epidural w the last bb cuz the pain was literally unbearable, come to see it was b cuzs baby girl was 10 and a half lbs. the others i just had nothing to deal w the pain just keep thinking thats its for a good reason and keeep telling yourself that u will b holding that baby in your arms in a bit and breathe. it took me about 2 weeks to feel normal again after the med from the epidural wore off i would never have another epi
    WHITELIGHTJENNY

Answer by WHITELIGHTJENNY at 11:41 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• My first pregnancy I tried to be tough and not get the epidural but o man they became so intense i ended up getting one but this pregnancy i am going to try to relax more, breath, and focus more and try not to get one again.
    shar-hulk

Answer by shar-hulk at 11:41 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• i was enduced with dd and it was soo painful when the poticen kicked in i thought i was going to die!! i got the epidural..which is better alot of ppl willl say natural bc the epidural can prolong labor but experts say not by much and the baby can be groggy and not want to breast feed...i think which ever makes you feel more calm and relaxed is the best choice..so women get the feeling of being empowered by going all natural no drugs at all!! and they say you recover quicker from goin natural.. others cant even think stright when they think of the pain..its your choice and its watever you feel more comfortable with
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 11:45 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I have had 5 and did natural with the first 3 and every intention of natural with #4 but there were complications they thought I might need a C-section so I had an epi. With #5 again wanted natural and just stadol or something to take the edge off but they would not do that so went epi. They did it wrong and I still felt about everything. For me natural seemed better. I could push and feel when I needed to. My labors were shorter. I pushed less. I was literally out walking around and everything just after I was cleaned up.

Answer by gemgem at 12:01 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• When I had my son I was induced which is where your doctor breaks your water basically.. But i got the epidural and it did help alot people say dont get it cause it could hurt your baby most of the people I know who have kids had the epidural and their kids are fine. If pain is just too much then the epidural is a yes:) things you can do to ease labor is lay on your side or if your lower back hurts have your significant other massage your lower back lightly.. a heating pad.. music.. calming sounds exp like meditation music that can help alot and I hope this helps someone else :)
    JoyLovesYouExOh

Answer by JoyLovesYouExOh at 12:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I've never had an epidural, though with baby #2, I arrived at the hospital BEGGING for it. My labor progressed so quickly, they told me there wasn't time for any medication. Within 30 minutes of my arrival, my DD was here. Absolutely no medication. I was able to push effectively, but boy did hurt. And there was a lot of tearing in the process.

With my first baby, I had a very long labor (21 hours) and just enough medication to take the edge off the pain. The attending OB recommended an episiotomy, which I didn't really want, but agreed to anyway. Only after NOT having one for my second child did I realize how much easier it made pushing. Without it (baby #2) I felt the burn of the stretching and all the tearing. With it, there was a clean cut that widened the opening, and the mouth of my vag was numb, so no burning pain down there. The 'stitching up' after was easier too.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your delivery. :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 12:34 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• my friends baby was born at home in her warm bathtub, no epi it was pain-free (almost) she said
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 1:33 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Ive had one all natural at the hospital. with this one Im going natural agian.
    I breath and play soothing music to relax. Look into my hubbys eyes helps a whole lot.
    Up to you which is better, I personally would not get an epi at all.
    babyhuey2

Answer by babyhuey2 at 1:38 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• No drugs for me/my babies in my labors.
    :-)

I have used many normal, natural, pain-coping strategies.
    The biggest one was having waterbirths and delivering outside the hospital. Funny how that in itself is a pain reducer!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:11 AM on Jun. 27, 2011