Fleas

i saw a flea on my dog and I tried to catch it and it jumped off....ewwwww! Anyway, I have not done frontline on him in a few months and now I'm totally referring it! If I have fleas in my house (besides a flea bomb) how can I get rid of them?

PANZONSMOM

Asked by PANZONSMOM at 11:36 AM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Pets

• i wouldnt put anything down if u have a crawling son... shampoo, vaccum and repeat many times..and put frontline or another flea product on the dog. if u dont like frontline because of it being a topical,. there is a product called comfortis which is cheaper and works great! and it comes in a pill form so there is no mess or drying time.
    cnv13085

Answer by cnv13085 at 9:10 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• The carpet product you need to use is called "Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth". It is an earth-friendly, SAFE, organic product. It is the fossilized remains of diatoms - tiny microscopic shelled creatures that lived in the oceans. It is also called Earth Flour. It is a fine white powder, that you can even eat. It will not harm your pets from the size of a cat and up. It kills fleas. It kills most insects. It cuts their skeleton, and then they dehydrate. It cuts up their eggs. It can stay in your carpet, you do not have to vacuum it up. But do not put it on too heavily, as it might plug your vacuum filters. It shouldn't harm your vacuum, but I have had to rinse out the sponge filters after using it. It will kill the fleas in your yard, on your dog bed, spread it anywhere. http://www.suite101.com/content/diatomaceous-earth---a-natural-remedy-for-common-dog-ailments-a303966
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 2:39 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I was able to buy D.E. at a farm supply store, when I lived near an Amish settlement. I could get a 50 lb bag for under $20. Otherwise, if you have to order it online, it is much more expensive - but still cheaper and safer than chemicals. And you really can eat it. Some people do, thinking it will kill internal parasites. You can feed it to your dog to control worms. Read more, and see what you think.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 2:40 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• borax!!!!!! put it in your carpet it will kill the fleas in there..also there is flea stuff in the pet section at walmart for your carpets! good luck
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 11:39 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Borox does work but you have to put it down, remove the pets and yourself for a couple hours. Come home and vacuum it up. I havent been able to afford the flea stuff myself so I get it. I also bathe my dogs using Dawn itll kill what is on them. You can also add 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to their water and it is a natural repellent. Same on furniture but it stinks.

I dont use front line. Ask your vet about Comfortis. It is a pill and it works longer. It says monthly but my vet said one pill every 6 weeks is fine too. You can usually get them for $15 each.

Answer by gemgem at 12:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Lorelei... I'm assuming it's safe for my crawling son as well?!
    PANZONSMOM

Comment by PANZONSMOM (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Y have u not used flea med on him? no excuse!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:49 AM on Jun. 26, 2011