Send your child to private pre and elementary schools or private middle and high schools?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 11:41 AM on Jun. 26, 2011 in

• Private middle school
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 11:45 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Neither, we homeschool. Private schools are waaaaaaaay overpriced I think. $20,000 for K? Give me a break!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I would do neither. Kids create bonds with one another and my mom attempted the latter with me and it was like a nightmare for me. Where my kids start is where they finish.

Answer by gemgem at 11:58 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• In the spirit of WYR:

High School. College admissions are getting tighter and tighter. Since most colleges rank the high schools, and use formulas that give extra points to those who come from highly ranked schools, I would give my kids this advantage.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 12:18 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I believe middle and high school..I understand the not wanting to change and the whole staying where you started bit of things, although for some it doesn't matter. To me kids have a lot to learn when they are starting out and most are on the same page. As they get older you start to see the differences. In my town the public schools did not give my 2 older children what they needed to challenge them and to point them in a direction for when they get older. My oldest transferred to a Charter school in 7th grade and loves it, he will be in high school at the same school next year. My middle one starts at the same school next year.

For me I think it is more important to make sure they get what they need as they get older. When they are young you can help them a lot more.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:25 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• If I had the money I would send my kid to a private school easily...but if I dont, then public is just as fine.
    MissyNewMama

Answer by MissyNewMama at 2:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• High school
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 3:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• middle and high school. kids need so much more discipline, guidance, and structure during that time.
    1_HOT_MOMMA

Answer by 1_HOT_MOMMA at 4:55 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Neither. I'd rather they go to public school. Private doesn't equal better and the cost is outrageous (private school costs more than college). Not to mention it's almost impossible to find a private school that isn't religious based and we're atheists.
    It was bad enough my kids spent 3 years at a Catholic school because our local public school had no room for them. It cost us $700/month and they didn't even teach my middle 2 kids to read. They left the school a year and a half behind on reading and have been struggling to catch up at their new public school (they're almost at grade level now after just 1 year in PS).
    I went to Catholic school for 13 years including an all-girl high school (that now costs like $9k/year per girl) and we had all the same problems the public schools did (fighting, drugs, drinking, cussing, girls getting pregnant, etc). They just had to to the school next door to meet boys.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:03 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I went to private school until 5th grade. I didn't learn anything new until 10th grade. I was able to test into many advanced classes or test out completely, resulting in graduating HS a year early. I think private school to begin with gave me a GREAT foundation for MS, HS and college.

I'd rather homeschool my children, but that;s not an option, so I plan to send them to private school. I plan to send them to private school permanently, but if I HAD to choose, I'd do the same thing my parents did for me.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 5:59 PM on Jun. 26, 2011