Why do people who are going deaf

(older people) refuse to get hearing aids, rather than SHOUTING so everyone else can hear them when in truth it's they that can't hear themselves? Drives me friggen insane!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Health

•                                I know EXACTLY what you mean. I have 2 uncles and an aunt that are there. And the blasting TV...OMG!

eye rolling

It bugs me too when they just nod after you ask them something, because they don't want to admit they didn't hear what you asked.

ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 11:48 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Would you willingly admit that you are loosing your hearing? Eyesight? That your body is beginning to turn on you?? It is hard for the young to understand what it feels like to no longer be able to do for yourself or admit that.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:57 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Spiritedwitch is exactly right. It is a matter of pride and dignity. It is hard not only to admit, but to accept that your body is failing. A little compassion goes a long way.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:00 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• i think i am losing my hearing in at least one of my ears. i can't hear anything so i act like i do like the 1st response says. i am in the army and they pass us on the hearing test to deploy us because we are only numbers to them. i don't even hear the beeps & always have to take the hearing test over and over again till eventually the tech just passes me.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 4:05 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Wow. Isn't that like, a security issue and a big risk for you if you actually have to fight Mrsary?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I'm deaf in my right ear from having an IED explode about 20 feet from me at the EXACT moment I took out my ear plug to clean it. Grrrr

A hearing aid wouldn't do anything. My ear drum and the little hair fiber things are destroyed. It drives me insane. If a hearing aid would help, I'd get one in a heartbeat.
    I don't understand people who won't get one. They are tiny and not even noticeable now. If something can help, why not?
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 5:51 PM on Jun. 26, 2011