How do you have energy with a 5 year old and a newborn?

I am due Sept. 10th and my 5 year old will be starting kindergatren in Aug. I am going to be so busy with running her to and from school, dance, gymnastics and homewrok and going to have a newborn and be sleep deprived. How will I manage? I am already stressing about it........

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jun. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• I really don't think a 5 year old needs any or all those extra curricular activities at all & how hard could homework be at 5? At least you will have the day alone with the baby so nap when the baby does.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:46 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Hi honey, I hear you! I was there, and I learned from my mistakes. First off, a kindergartner should not be taking dance, gymnastics and more. They are just children! They need time for play. They need the right kinds of toys (no batteries or electricity required) and they need to use their imaginations. If you feel that she absolutely has to have some extra-curriculars, then pick ONE. Chose between dance or gymnastics. Secondly, although Kindergartners shouldn't be having homework, you can establish a homework routine, which will make life easier for your children as they grow. Start with 15min, right before supper. They sit at the kitchen table or counter while you prepare the meal, so you can supervise and answer questions. Also, it gives them something to do besides pester you when you are busy. If they don't bring home homework, you can make some up for them. Print off worksheets from the computer, (continued)
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 11:49 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• or buy a workbook at the grocery store, or just have them read aloud.
    Next, make yourself a hard and fast rule. You sleep EVERY TIME the baby sleeps! If she takes a one-hour am nap, lie down and rest. If she sleeps for two hours after lunch, nap again. You need to rebuild your energy, and keep yourself healthy. Being a mom is hard enough, don't make it harder on yourself. Some moms use naptimes to get housework done, but housework is never DONE. You really can sweep the floors with the baby in a baby carrier, but you cannot sleep if the baby is awake.
    Other ways you can cope are - find a mom in a similar situation, and swap child care. You take both babies one morning a week so she can get some private alone time, and she'll return the favor. Or both of you get together for mutual support and encouragement. You might also find a MOMS club in your area. (Mothers Offering Mothers Support). Good luck!
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 11:53 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Try a 7 year old, 5 year old, and 5 month old. I don't know how I do what I do, but I manage. When somone offers to help, I take it. I carpool a lot because we are in sports and dance. My DH also is a big help. I couldn't do it without him. I stay very organized, and I follow list that I make up.Following my cleaning list and to do list makes me feel like I have accomplished something throughout the day.
    I make sure bottles and dishes are clean before I go to sleep. During the school year, everything is packed the night before. We bought a bottle warmer that is for hot and cold bottles that sits next to the bed. We don't have to get out of the bed for a bottle, and the baby sleeps with us. I want to sleep, and that is the only way I get to. I'll figure out how to get him out of the bed once he stops waking up for a night bottle.
    Just remember that as women we can handle a lot. Everything will be ok... trust me.
    MOMof3_28

Answer by MOMof3_28 at 12:04 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• You will be fine. I have 2 5 year olds, a 3 year old, and a 5 month old....It's not that bad,.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 12:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Oh, and I DO believe that a 5 year old should be in extracurricular activites. It gives my DD time to play with her friends and make new ones. She also learns to socialize, and work as a team. She does soccer, dance, and t-ball. She has fun, and it gives her something to look forward to. I just put the baby in the car, or I strap him to my chest and we go. Like I said before... you'll figure it out.
    MOMof3_28

Answer by MOMof3_28 at 12:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• It will be fine, you'll see!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:09 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Take it one day at a Time!
    I'll be in the same boat, my sons may start pre-K and Im due any day now. Not sure but a little help from family and friends. Oh and alot of B-12 and multi-Vim
    babyhuey2

Answer by babyhuey2 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• i went to my friends house yesterday who has a 6 year old and an 8 month old she was yelling at her husband the whole time screaming saying i need more sleep put the baby to bed i can't dou it! the husband was calm and offered to help put the baby to sleep, and he did but the 6 year old woke up the baby 3 times. my friend was going nutso!!
    my point is if you have a husband/SO that can help you and tell your little one in advance to stay away from baby's room it will be easier
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 1:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• When my oldest was in kindergarten my 4th child was born. Luckily I only had to walk her to the corner to catch the bus. But she was in 1/2 day kindergarten so then I had to turn around a few hours later and go back and get her since kindergartners weren't allowed off the bus without a parent there (we lived 2 houses from the corner). I actually enjoyed it when she was at school because that left just 3 kids at home--newborn 3 1/2yo and a 4 1/2yo. Of course my kids aren't involved in activities. They have been in the past but I limited it to 1 per kid (which was 1 hour in the evening for each kid). And then they quit all activities in the winter because it got too cold to walk to them (I don't have my own car) so we kept skipping--it was a waste of money.
    This fall I'll have kids in 6th, 4th, 3rd and kindergarten. Plus a 1yo at home. Piece of cake.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:36 PM on Jun. 26, 2011