If your best friend was gay..

and tried to kiss you. What would you do? I told hubby and he just laughed his head off and told me he'd have liked to have seen it and thinks I should have carried on with it. I don't see how he could be so cavalier about it, we've been friends for 14 years and she's wonderful but just before this told me she was in love with me and always had been but that she wanted nothing from it. I honestly don't know what to do. (she was drunk when she tried to kiss me) Husband is being no help, so advice ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:27 AM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Relationships

• People tend to do things when they are drunk that they wouldn't do otherwise. It loosens their inhibitions. I guess my 1st question would be do you want to continue to be friends? If you do, then I think the best way to address it is to tell her that you want to stay friends, but only if she can agree not to drink when she is going to be hanging out with you and if she is willing to go back to the way things were before, where you were aware of her feelings but that she had no intention of trying to act on them. If you don't want to stay friends anymore, then I'd say you just tell her that she crossed a major line and that you just don't think you are comfortable with remaining friends. It's difficult enough being friends with someone who is attracted to you, but it's much more difficult if you don't know when they might try to act on that attraction.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:06 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Being drunk makes people act on impulse. She likely never meant to tell you how she felt about you, and wouldn't have tried to kiss you... but now the line has been crossed so it's up to you to decide whether you feel comfortable in the friendship. Does she even remember what happened?
    If you remain friends, I'd avoid going out with her while she's drinking.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 7:22 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• LOL im with hubby :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Honestly, I think it would affect me if my BFF told me she was in love with me. My BFF was bi (she passed several years ago). But we were super close, like a sister and if she had told me this I would have been uncomfortable. But you know, she's probably waking up this morning and regretting her actions. People really do say and do things they normally wouldn't when they drink, maybe you can move past this and still be friends. I know that if it had happened to me I wouldn't want to lose her as a friend, it would take a while to adjust! As for your DH, I think he's being a typical male. Maybe talk to her and make boundaries-no kissing and that you truly view her as just a friend. GL

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:49 AM on Dec. 14, 2008