If you have hard water, how do you deal with it?

I know I can use a water softener, but that kind of makes me uneasy. I don't particularly want chemicals in everything I touch and give to my family.

As for other options like magnetic water treatment, mechanical/ion exchange softeners, do you use them? Do they work well? Are they worth the price? What other treatments do you use?

cypressandsage

Asked by cypressandsage at 12:32 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I just live life normally? Idk, I don't do anything special or anything. I wash clothes, dishes, etc like normal. We have a softener but go through salt WAY too fast. And it's not so much chemicals being used, it's mostly salt that softens the water.
    Anonymous

• We just deal. We have a water filter for Our drinking water, but otherwise, We just use the water as is. We have super hard water here, which is weird, as it had never been this hard in the other places I've lived in the state. One of many reasons I can't wait to move!
    .MhacFoirfe.

Answer by .MhacFoirfe. at 12:42 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Salt is natural, I wouldn't think it would hurt anyone. We have a salt cell on our pool, it generates chlorine to kill bacteria and it softens the water. It's actually much better than having to add actual chlorine to the pool.

That's my experience with salt/soft water. We have hard water in our home, and I'm looking forward to putting in a water softener. It will extend the life of our appliances, and be better all around. You also only put it on the hot water side so you won't be drinking it....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• It's mostly salt.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2011