Disciplining 16 month old

For a few months my son has been pushing and pushing us to the limit. He gets into things he shouldn't get into whether it is just unsafe or "adult" things like the dvd player. I have tried moving him over and over and over. He will throw a quick tantrum and go right back to doing it like it's no big deal. I try very hard to stay calm but it's nearly impossible to take him anywhere and not have to hold him the whole time because he gets into just about everything he shouldn't. Even if his toys are right there. I know this is typical but how do I teach him that this is not okay? He doesn't seem to care when I just move him. Need some advice so I can teach him these things without making us BOTH miserable!

BraydonsMama262

Asked by BraydonsMama262 at 12:53 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my dd is the same age..i tried the moving thing it didnt work..so i switched to swatting her on the rear it often works but there are times it doesnt..i am just before starting time out..i know that may sounds nuts but something has to work..good luck
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 1:02 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• My daughter was like this. She started her terrible two's at 16 months old. She's now 4 and we are FINALLY starting the slow climb out of "Tantrum Central". It's been VERY trying.

At this age he still needs to be distracted and redirected, not just moved. He still has a very short attention span, so if you can get him involved in something else that'll be better than just saying NO! all the time. Time outs will kind of work, but still has to be one minute for year of age.

If he keeps going after things, like the DVD player I'd slap his hand, not hard enough to leave a mark, but hard enough to get his attention, and say "NO, not yours" then lead him to HIS toys and say "Yes, these are yours". Find things you can tell him yes to.

GOOD LUCK!
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Personally I feel that my children are disciplined well and that is also the feedback that I get from teachers, family members, and friends.

I do the time out system. I let the kid know they are going into a timeout and calmly explain to them why they are being punished. ex) "You get a time out because it is naughty to throw toys at the T.V. and you did not listen to me when I asked you to stop. It is important to listen to mommy and daddy. You need to sit here and think about listening better."

Our timeout area is a gated area that has no decor. The kids originally get a minute for each year of age but the timer starts once any crying or fussing ends (I have made that clear to the kids and they know it by now)

At the end of a timeout, I let them know again why they were punished and ask them to not do it again. We then kiss and hug. It works well for our family.
    superclutz

Answer by superclutz at 4:43 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I should also mention that timeouts are portable. My kids can get a timeout anywhere and anytime. I give timeouts in Walmart even, lol. Just not in the toy section, usually I pull them into a bathroom so we are out of the way.
    superclutz

Answer by superclutz at 4:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• time outs
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 5:01 PM on Jun. 27, 2011