I thought I gave my DD an uncommon name but I guess not. Has this happened to you?

I named my DD Ellie Nicole. The name Ellie is popular in Europe but was not popular in the US when I named her.

The other day at a Children's museum there were at least five little girls being called Ellie and I even heard some mommy's yell out "Ellie Nicole!"

I know that the same thing happened to my mother when she named me Carrie back in 77. All of the sudden there were tons of Carrie's around.

Has this happened to you?

superclutz

Asked by superclutz at 1:18 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Baby Names

• Yes! My daughter is Kynlee, and I have never heard of another 5 year old Kynlee, but there are 3 women I know that are pregnant and planning on using the name Kynlee!
    ValMommy17

Answer by ValMommy17 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Yup, named my grandson Neriah and doggone if there aren't several of them around now

Answer by admckenzie at 1:23 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• My sons name is braxten, and it's becoming more popular. My daughters name however, (hopefully) won't become popular. Her name is Meika (mee-ka)
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 1:23 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Aww BabyBugsmama, Meika is an adorable name! Love it!
    superclutz

Comment by superclutz (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I had never known an Ashley and when I took my daughter to her first dr. appt- there were FIVE of them...I wanted to die : /

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:28 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• LOL, yes!! OUr oldest is named Zachary, never have my hub and I EVER met a Zach before. NEVER. But there were 3 other Zachary's born when my son was. Same with our daughter Mackenna! Oh well lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:29 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• We did the same thing. My son's names are Alexander and Hunter (which was my DHs grandmother's maiden name and my DH's middle name because of it) we had only met the family members whom we named them after prior to giving them those names and now we must know a dozen of each. My daughter is Madeline, we never heard it besides the cartoon for the last 20 years - now it's everywhere!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:30 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• My daughters name is Brianna, 9 years ago that name wasnt popular at all but i hear it more and more now.
    My sons name is Bryce ...havent heard another kid with that name at all
    My other son Brayden...heard that quite a bit since having him 2.5 yrs ago
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 1:30 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I'd never heard the name Ashlynn until I named my daughter. Now I hear it. Most people spell it with one n though
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:33 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• My oldest daughter's name is Aftan. Believe it or not, we occasionally run into someone else w/ that name. My youngest is Reagan and it seems that is gaining popularity.

My name is Amanda Marie, and when I was in school there was another Amanda Marie. She sat behind me in Algebra in the 8th grade. Very popular name.
    mommy2aftan

Answer by mommy2aftan at 1:33 PM on Jun. 26, 2011