Can we declare open season on the TSA yet?

A woman has filed a complaint with federal authorities over how her elderly mother was treated at Northwest Florida Regional Airport last weekend.

Jean Weber of Destin filed a complaint with the Department of Homeland Security after her 95-year-old mother was detained and extensively searched last Saturday while trying to board a plane to fly to Michigan to be with family members during the final stages of her battle with leukemia.

Her mother, who was in a wheelchair, was asked to remove an adult diaper in order to complete a pat-down search.

“It’s something I couldn’t imagine happening on American soil,” Weber said Friday. “Here is my mother, 95 years old, 105 pounds, barely able to stand, and then this.”

http://www.newsherald.com/news/mother-94767-search-adult.html

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 1:42 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• That is a TRAVISTY!!!

turtldov

Answer by turtldov at 1:51 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• tsk tskNo words. . . .

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:54 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• This is right up there with that 5 year old girl that was groped....I mean patted down. Just gives me one more reason to skip the flight and drive. If I can't drive there, then Fuhgetaboutit.

This is one thing that I'm deeply ashamed about my country over.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:08 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Violation of our 4th Amendment rights. We have to force the Congress to address this. The TSA got by with this by using the 'regulation' side-step that our pres. is so fond of. They by-passed Congress to get to this point because they know Congress wouldn't allow it. It isn't a law. It is a 'regulation'. Congress has to step in and stop this type of practice. We are protected by the Constitution against search and seizure without probable cause or due process of law. Boarding a plane doesn't make us criminals. I just flew from Raleigh to Atlanta and back. They never touched me or screened me. They did some. I don't know why I got lucky. (honest face I guess).
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• And just think, Obama gave them the go-ahead to unionize.
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 2:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• ts a TRAVESTY. This is one example of morons who work at this type of job. Any of the airport security workers that you look at and listen to sound like morons. THIS is nothing new. It is just worse because of the NEW TSA procedures. But they have never been that smart. You don't have to have a very high IQ to do that kind of work.
    . I am sure the people involved will be reprimanded. BUT, I wonder WHY this poor old lady was wearing a SOILED DEpends and why did her daughter not have a few clean ones on hand for when she needed one. They had her mom remove her soiled diaper. WHY was she traveling wth a soiled Depends? Is her daughter neglectful? I think so.There could be more to this story.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 2:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Weber said she did not know whether her mother had triggered an alarm during the 45 minutes they were detained.

She said security personnel then came out and told her they would need for her mother to remove her Depends diaper because it was soiled and was impeding their search.

My guess is that she hadn't thought ahead to a soiled undergarment because she probably didn't expect to be detained for 45 minutes.  It's possible the daughter thought she would have time to take her mother to the restroom before the flight so that she could relieve herself.  It's possible that a 95 year old woman in the final stages of leukemia was intimidated and scared and had an accident when being invasively searched by strangers for the better part of an hour. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:39 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• It's killing the messenger. Most of us work within some sort of framework with guidelines, and those at the lower end of the earnings scale even more so- TSA members are not paid to think...they are paid to follow guidelines, even if those guidelines appear to be asinine-

A job with zero autonomy, but for many a job that they are thankful to have, nonetheless.

Who decides the guidelines? Who decided that diapers would need to be checked? Obama? Head of HLS?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:06 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• The TSA...uggghhh. They are NOT keeping us safer. My niece arrived here with 2 large pieces of luggage they allowed her to CARRY ON. One had nothing in it but toiletry items...shampoo, hairspray..all kinds of sprays and perfume and makeup and body wash. I was shocked. She went through 3 different airports with this!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:07 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• As much as I hate this, an article recently came out about how a child was used in an Afghan bomb attack. Totally and completely screwed up... but it just shows that there are some seriously screwed up people out there willing to go to unthinkable lengths to try and get to us.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2011/06/26/afghanistan-bombings.html?ref=rss#.Tger_WHKhWA.facebook
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 8:04 PM on Jun. 26, 2011