Potty Training

I have a little girl who will be turning 3 in September. Since February we've been trying to potty train her. She's stuck in a cycle where she'll be doing really good and she can wear panties around the house with having only the occasional accident or none at all. Then we'll have to go on a long car ride or she'll go over to someone elses house to play and I'll put her in a pullup. I've tried to have panties on her at other peoples houses but she's so distracted that even with prompting she still has accidents so it's less messy to just have the pullup on her. But after a day with a pullup, she'll revert right back to start and have an accident every single time. Today she's gone three times, all in her panties with the exception of one poop that she managed to get to the potty for. I'm at the end of my patience with her and ready for this to be over with. I've given her stickers to put on a chart everytime she uses the potty, I give her a hershey's kiss as a treat when she poops in the potty. I make sure she knows its an accident and don't scold her when she doesn't make to the potty. Currently, I set a timer for every hour and have her go when the timer goes off to try to get it to stick with her but even with that she still has the accidents after a day with a pullup. I would really appreciate some pointers from moms who've been where I'm at.

AmberBrat

Asked by AmberBrat at 2:16 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think you do right with the pull ups at other peoples' houses but it's, as you say, setting her back. So put up with whatever you can for now until you and she have a clear run of not needing to go anywhere for at least a week. After that I'd say leave her in knickers even if visiting others if she's pooing on the toilet ok by then and just keeping asking her if she needs the loo or take her if it's been sometime even if she says she's fine. That's what we did anyway. Pull ups are fab for trips but very confusing for little ones with them feelings just like a nappy. They've had a long time using nappies so it's only reasonable they revert to weeing and pooing casually after any extended time in pulls ups. If it's still too stressful for you and your DD, you really can put it off for much longer until she's older enough to click with toilet training over just a day or two (it's what we did with one of our sons). x
    Womamhood

Answer by Womamhood at 2:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• http://www.cafemom.com/answers/search.php?keyword=potty%20training

There are 500+ questions with multiple answers.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:08 PM on Jun. 26, 2011