How do you get your child to keep still during diaper changes?

My ten-month old DS is very energetic and seems to enjoy being naked. I usually have a thirty second window to change his diapers or his clothes before he rolls over and crawls away laughing, butt naked. If I do manage to get his diaper on, he unfastens it and crawls out. If I manage to get his clothes on, he throws a fit and unzips/unsnaps it. (How he knows how to do that... I have NO idea.) I don't want to have to pin him down just to get his diaper on. I've tried giving him something to play with to distract him but it doesn't really work... and you can just imagine how frustrating this is when he soiled himself. What do I do?

LemonLimeyify

Asked by LemonLimeyify at 2:29 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I bought a musical light up toy and gave that to my babies when it was time to change them. They were only allowed to have that toy during diaper changes. They loved it so much that they stayed still. As soon as I was done, I took the toy away and they could play with it for the next diaper change.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:34 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• A bright, musical toy or like with my eldest, Emma (19 months) we sing. :-)
    mrsbrittbishop

Answer by mrsbrittbishop at 2:38 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• i use musical toys or light up ones. i have twins so it is a handful and sometimes if i have someone over i have them talk to the babies. its just good to keep them distracted
    mama_twinbabies

Answer by mama_twinbabies at 2:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• once my kids can stand up well, holding onto things, i change them standing up.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 3:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• BOTH of my kids pulled this Baby Escape Artist stunt. Drove me crazy. I finally just sat on the floor with my back against the couch, and pinned my kids in the V of my legs. If they still tried to get away I'd pin their arms with my ankles so they couldn't move. It worked better for me than my husband, my kids learned to kick. They also would lift their feet up to a 90 degree angle and drop their feet as hard as they could.

After a week of struggle or so they finally learned that things went better, and faster, if they just stayed put and got their diaper changed.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:15 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Lol, my son does the exact same, minus th taking the duper and clothes off! I just go as fast as possible and tell him "no, sit still, u can play and roll when mommys done" he got the jist pretty quick, cuz the tone of my voice is more serious!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 12:13 AM on Jun. 27, 2011