Pros and Cons of Cats.????? Shedding, ect

I hate cats normally, they are always scratching and biting at me. BUT a mice situation has arisen and I am thinking about getting a cat and my husband and children like them. My friend has a short boy a and girl kitten to get rid of . Will the short hair cats still shed? In a tiny house where could the liter box go? I have 3 small children who need to stay out of it but the kitten needs to get to it. HMM just can't decide

Ethans_Ma

Asked by Ethans_Ma at 2:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Pets

• Yes, shorthairs still shed especially if you have a very dry house. BUT if they are brushed every day, it will help cut down on the shedding. As for the litter pan ... you will just have to go with a trial and error kind of thing until you find the perfect spot. Oh and don't forget to get them both fixed.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 3:09 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• If you want to spend the money for a truly great cat, look into a Bengal. They do not have fur, but pelts. They are more like having a dog, than a cat, so might work for you. And they are uniquely beautiful. They are a breed developed by crossing wild cats with domestic cats. But purebred kittens will cost more than the free litter down the street. Bengal kittens may be from $450 for a pet, to $3000 for breeding stock. Here is an image:

For more information, check out the website, from where I got the image: http://www.catsofaustralia.com/bengal-cat-description.htm

LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 3:33 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Short hairs still shed, but the good thing about cats is that they can for the most part take care of themselves
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 3:40 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I have 8 cats. For some reason I do not have a problem with shedding. I have 1 litter box because they mainly use the bathroom outside so I don't have the smell. I have it in here in case they are stuck in here for hours without anyone being able to leave them out. They are probably biting you and scratching you because they like you. It's their way of showing affection. I know, it hurts and doesn't make sense, humans use soft things to make you feel good. I would maybe see if you have some room in the bathroom for a litter box if there's no room anywhere else, or your laundry room. Set it up before you bring the cat home and before setting them down, take them to the box and use their paw to scratch in the litter. They will know where it is then and what it is for so you don't have any accidents.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 3:55 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• well i have 3 short hair cats and they dont shed that bad.. you can get a covered liter box and put it in the laundry room or in a corner in a side room just let the cat know where it is. You can comb the cat so it wont shed much but they dont shed as bad as long haired cats. They groom themselves which is always a plus! hope you get a kitty they love mice.. mine catch birds and lizards
    1_love_2_hearts

Answer by 1_love_2_hearts at 3:56 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• short hairs don't shed as much as long hairs do; and as far as the litter box they will find them as long you put them and leave them in one specific place; we just moved and put the litter boxes out in the open basement were they can find them easily. we didn't waste our money on the covered litter boxes we just got a normal litter box and placed inside a cardboard box that way the litter isn't scattered all over. if you are going to have them exclusively inside then you may consider getting them declawed
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 4:10 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• lol, mine brought us a snake, still alive onto the back porch. We have three cats and the shedding isn't a problem. The litter box is in the laundry room, just clean it everyday. They each other thier own temperment and personality. I do vacuum every other day but I'd do that with or without cats in the house. Just this summer did we start letting them go outside. But that's up to you if you want them to inside only cats. So, we did have ear mites, but ordered meds from 1-800 place and they're fine. Just teach the kids to be gental and they'll be loving cats for many years. Our oldest cat my dd got when she was two, she's now 12. Good Luck
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 4:10 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• The things that I like most about cats is that they are less needy than a dog(imo), and they can pretty much take care of themselves. They are more independent than other pets. All cats pretty much shed, though, and litter boxes can be icky and stink if you don't clean them out regularly. I would suggest putting out one more than the number of cats you have- so one cat would get 2 boxes. I have one in our laundry room, one in the downstairs bathroom, one in the upstairs bathroom, and two in the hall, under a long shelf. I have one boy and three girls and they are all big lap cats(and they are fixed, of course!).
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 5:48 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• short hair still sheds, but more importantly ... if you want a cat for a mouser, you need a barn cat or one that isn't fully domesticated... I have two cats that have no interest in even going after a beetle, but my girl, Minerva... found near a dumpster... man, she is so excited when something gets in the house and would be sooooo thrilled if something bigger came through the door. Get a female, as toms get lazy after being neutered, but the females stay active.... more information than you asked for, but I've had experience with both totally domesticated and a lil wild and a lil wild female is what you are looking for.
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 3:37 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Oh, and litter box placement, we have ours in a closet with a chain on it so the cats can get in, but the kids can't. Is there a place you could do that?
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 3:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2011