What rules do you have for the babysitter?

tspillane

Asked by tspillane at 3:08 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• Charmed, Buffy & soon I'll add AMC to that list!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:25 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• noone is allowed in the house
    you ust smoke outside
    no personal phone calls on MYphone
    change diapers hourly
    no sexual tV programs
    be mindful of your mouth ( dont cuss AT my kids in other words)
    and many more, but that is the top ones
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 3:42 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Under no circumstances are they to have their friends over (if they are teenagers) or to use the phone to talk to their friends. I want the babysitter to pay attention to my children. If the babysitter is a responsible adult, I would prefer that they didn't smoke around my children. If my kids are quite young, I would have to ask the babysitter to not swear around them. I have 3 DSs. My 2 oldest know what swear words are and don't use them. My youngest is 4 and only knows a couple swear words that he isn't supposed to say but not all of them. I don't want him to get into trouble because someone the babysitter can't control his/her tongue.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 3:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• sabrina I think u answered the wrong question!!
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 3:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• My sitters are all family who are at least my age and have all had children of their own. I trust their judgment, and I don't think I have ever left "rules" with them...except maybe "don't feed them full of sugar and caffeine grandma" after she gave them coffee once. OMG.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Mine have only ever had a nanny or family. For the live in nanny she was to watch them, cook for them, help with homework, and do the same duties I would if I were home, and some light cleaning. If they misbehaved they could go to their room for time out.
    With family same basic rules, no spanking. My mil made the mistake of spanking my child once and boy was I in her face. How dare her lay a finger on my child when spanking is against how I raise my children.

Answer by gemgem at 5:10 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• no one is allowed in the house
    no smoking allowed
    no phone calls while sitting
    change diapers hourly(or more if needed)
    no sexual TV programs
    be mindful of your mouth ( don't cuss AT or in front of my kids in other words)
    don't just set the kids in front of the TV or computer and not take care of them
    feed them when hungry
    Under no circumstances are they to have their friends over (if they are teenagers) or to use the phone to talk to their friends
    put them to bed on time
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 6:19 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• a family member sitter or a sitter sitter are different, I'm more lenient with family sitter, mostly because they are around me raising my children so already know most of what I would think would be okay and what wouldn't..

I'd write out a list of foods that are okay for each child per age group, what times they typically eat breakfast/lunch/andor dinner. along with what is okay for snacks and to drink.. and what times they typically nap and go to bed. (the time schedule doesn't have to followed to a t, it's just a guideline, however I would like them to be followed through on.. in otherwords.. try to make sure the baby goes down for a nap around such and such a time and make sure they get a breakfast lunch and/or dinner along with drinks.

make sure to change diapers when necessary.

nobody is to come over..
    tv can be on, but only channels on a list of okay channels.. no shows like jersey shore or crap like that
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• computer is off limits, and keep phone and texting for emergencies only..
    no drinking or doing ANY drugs in my house.. ( I would have a sitter arrested for that crap!)
    no taking my kids anywhere...
    call if there is an emergency or any concerns...

those are off the top of my head...
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I wouldn't let anyone babysit unless they have children of their own or unless they are family. In other words I wouldn't just hire some random neighbor teenager to watch my children it would have to be someone that I fully trust and personally know. That way they kind of already know you raise your child/ren and what you expect.
    lochbuie88

Answer by lochbuie88 at 10:32 PM on Jun. 26, 2011