3 days worth of groceries for $15?

Ugh. We've got no food in the house, and I only have $15 till Wednesday. Can you help me come up with some sugar free food ideas to feed my 16yo and I?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Rice ,dry beans, chicken quater legs very cheap, and potatoes
    mari2120

Answer by mari2120 at 3:20 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Sugar free presents a slight issue seeing how expensive some of that stuff is but you could buy fresh fruits and veggies. Maybe some fresh bread ... tomato sandwiches. Maybe two dozen eggs ... they are very versatile. A small pack of meat for one meal.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 3:20 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Oh and a dozen eggs
    mari2120

• Get startches.. they fill you up.. rice beans potatoes. if you run out of food go to a food bank a lot of churches will help you out.too.
    Anonymous

• beans, lentils, and legumes in general are good souces of protein. They are filling, nutritious, and very inexpensive. I cook rice with lentils and my dd loves it. dollar stores have produce section too now and you can get potatoes, celery, carrots, ready made cole slaw things like that too. hope this helps.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 3:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• My suggestion is to check your local supermarket ads, they are likely available for you to look at online.

My local supermarkets usually offer "meal deals" Like if you buy two lbs of ground beef which is on sale, you get buns, pickles, tomatoes, and ketchup free. My local Pick-n-Save normally has deals like that.

My supermarket also has an online service that shows meals you can prepare using their current sale items and most of the time, their sale items match a recent coupon so when you pair the two together, you end up with a very inexpensive meal.

I know that this is not exactly the answer that you are looking for but it is one that will not include ramen noodles and sugar free mac-n-cheese.

If you are not lucky like I am to have a supermarket do the leg work for you, I know that you can look at an advertisement and the sale prices and come up with a meal plan yourself for the next three days. Good luck!

superclutz

Answer by superclutz at 3:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Hamburger- Red chili, Rice-Spanish rice, Beans. I would also, go to a local food bank.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 3:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Check you market flyer, too - our grocery store has frozen veggies on sale right now for $1/pound.

Beans, rice, veggies, water from the tap, and maybe a home-made corn bread. Oatmeal for breakfast. It's very tough, but you can do it.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 3:54 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• lentil curry is lovely, so is mixed bean curry :)
    proud-mummy

Answer by proud-mummy at 3:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I like the idea of making sandwiches, But the more cost effective is to buy
    Rice 1lb. $1.40 ( 2 days)
    Beans 2 cans $1.60 (2 days)
    Avocado $1.50
    Pasta a reg box 1.40 (1 day and some lest)
    Jar of tomato sauce $2.60
    Eggs 2. 50 organic and free range
    Grapes 3 pounds $3.50
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 26, 2011