What is the most unusual pet you ever owned?

Mine was a llama. I raised him from a cria, although I didn't work with him too much as a youngster because of the berserker syndrome common among baby male crias (where they bond with humans too closely, then can hurt them by affectionately JUMPING on them). I trained him many commands, and he loved marching in parades, posing for pictures with children, and competing in the costume events at the county fair. Here's a pic of him dressed up for the Fourth of July. His name was Kuzco. He used to nuzzle me, and rest his chin on my shoulder. I could take him for walks just like a dog. He was quite a bit taller than me, and weighed over 350 lbs. Not a little thing! But he could fold himself up to ride inside a van for trips to the vet. Llamas make nice pets, people! And they eat your grass, but don't kill it.

LoreleiSieja

Asked by LoreleiSieja at 3:21 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Pets

• We raised a mountain lion on our farm until she was 2 years old. Her name was Cammy. Her mom was killed and we found her with her eyes barely open. We treated her like a regular cat. She was litter trained, slept on the couch or the bed and loved to ride in the truck. But she always rode shotgun - she didn't like the back seat. Everyone in town knew her and the grocer would save us scraps of meat to help feed her. At 2 years old she was eating WAY more than we could provide and her hunting instincts were kicking in. We contacted a wildlife refuge in west texas and they took her to live with them. We went to visit a few times and she always remembered us. We stopped going so we wouldnt confuse her and she would adjust better.
    texasfarmmom

Answer by texasfarmmom at 11:36 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I had a duck growing up. Her name was Louise and we loved her. She would follow me around everywhere I went. Great pet!
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 3:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I suppose the most odd pet was my hermit crabs. I liked taking care of them, but they are a lot of work! For those who don't know hermit crabs require specific living conditions and if you don't meet those conditions they are easy to kill. I could not keep the humidity in their tank correct and so they ended up dying on me. Every time our weather changed the humidity in the tank changed and it was just too much for them.

Here's a few pictures though.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 3:36 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• She belonged to my high school science class, but I'd taker her home a lot for long weekends and vacations. She was an African Pygmy Hedgehog.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:38 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Probably a rat.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 3:41 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• A baby mockingbird. It was sweet, but honery! When I moved I gave it to an elderly couple who use to have one.
    tnunley

Answer by tnunley at 5:12 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I have always wanted a llama! I don't know why, but I love them! lol

The strangest animal I've ever owned was a turtle.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 5:18 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• We have had rats, gerbils, guinea pigs, snakes, lizards, chickens, ferrets, goats, and a horse. My DH had some emu, a buffalo, a camel, and peacocks. lol Now we just have chickens, a snake, cats, dogs, and a colt.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 5:54 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I dont think we've had anything really unusual. Since I've had my own home, we've had sever dogs and cats, guenia pigs, a rabbit, a gerbal, turtles, and a three legged bearded dragon.
    mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 12:43 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Probably my african pygmy hedgehogs... I had three over the course of twelve years, my first one was really an oddity because they were really uncommon pets at the time that I got her!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2011