Anyone use a memory foam with a box spring or foundation, no mattress?

I can't afford tempurpedic, I'm just wondering if there are cheaper brands of memory foam that work good over a foundation. We've been sleeping on a memory foam that was given to us (don't know if it's tempurpedic or not), and it's just too hard now for this pregnant lady (and getting stinky after being on a plywood foundation!). So we're looking at memory foams and foundations. I found a memory foam for a great price on overstock.com, but it's a 5" queen size and it's only 3 lbs. That just sounds so light to me! I don't want to order it and end up with some dumb piece of foam that flattens out when I lay on it!

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 3:29 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I bought one a few years ago from Walmart.Its a queen size and it has lasted this long and its very comfy to sleep on. Not so much firm, but its good until we get a new bed this year. I think after that I will continue to use it for a quest room.
    EternalDiesirae

Answer by EternalDiesirae at 3:39 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• We have an off brand and it's great. We bought it nearly 10 years ago and still love it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:48 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• bump
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• We are addicted to the one i got at walmart.
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 3:15 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I have one of those inexpensive memory foam-like mattresses that's currently on the bedroom floor cuz when we moved here 8mos ago, our queen boxspring wouldn't fit up the stairs to the bdrm. LOL Yes, it's been on the floor ever since, at least, until I can find a store that will sell me a queen/split-boxspring without selling me a bedroom set. It's definitely not a 3-pounder. It took 3 grown men whining, to carry the mattress up a flight of stairs. They all said it was the heaviest mattress they've ever moved/carried/felt. LOL
    domesticrecluse

Answer by domesticrecluse at 6:01 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• What you are talking about is meant to be put ON TOP of a traditional mattress and box spring combination.

Other manufacturers do make Memory foam mattresses that are far cheaper than Temprapedic. Just do some research and see what you can find. Most mainstream mattress manufacturers have a memory foam mattress available.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:27 AM on Jun. 27, 2011