babies with gastroschisis?

I was wondering if there were any moms on here who have had a baby born with gastroschisis? I am 35 weeks pregnant & I've known since 14 weeks along that my baby girl has this. I was wanting to see if you could tell me a little about what happened after your baby was born. How many surgeries? How long of a hospital stay? Bad scar or not? How did he or she do with eating? Any problems since your baby has been home? Anyone with a baby born with this, knows what gastroschisis is, but for anyone who doesnt, the bowels/intestines are on the outside of the babys belly right beside of the umbilical cord.

SLG627

Asked by SLG627 at 8:17 AM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I personaly do not have a child with this, BUT my best friend's son was born with this. He is now 6, and she calls him her million dollar baby, because that is how much he has cost! I can find out the exact number of surgeries he has had from her. I know that he will have at least 1 or 2 more for cosmetic reasons, so he can have a belly button. I also know that he ended up having a surgery that your daughter can't have because due to his condition at birth, one testicle was never able to drop and he had to have surgery on it. He also had to have a hernia operation, which I am pretty sure she said was also due to his condition at birth. I know when he first came home he did have a feeding tube, and she had gone through classes at the hospital on how to take care of and use it.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 10:26 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• (cont) I am sorry that I cannot remember the exact number of surgeries at birth, I remember being a rock for her and trying to keep her staying postitive. There is nothing that she needs to watch for in his diet, but I do know that she needs to keep an eye on his bowel movements, like how often, because of the hernia. The good news is that he is now a healthy, happy, and very intellegent 6 year old little boy!!!!! I wish you and your little girl the best of luck, and I am sure that everything will turn out okay!
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 10:29 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I have had a friend whose son was born with severe gastroschisis. I have no advise, but you're in my prayers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I did not have a baby with this, but I worked for 11 years at a big pediatric hospital. The hardest part seems to be in the first few years, but especially after she is born. It sounds wierd, but it is good that you know ahead of time; so you won't be shocked. They will probably cover up the belly as soon as she is born, to keep it moist. Just take one day at a time; you will likely meet other parents who are going through all kinds of things if you go to a specialty pediatric hospital, and just getting to know them somehow will help. God bless you, and give you His peace.
    Anonymous

• Hi, I was Born with Gastroschisis. I am 25 years old. I had alot of Problems when I was born. I had Gastroschisis and I had the worse case of it. I was born in Utah In herber city. They took me to Salt Lake City. I was in the hopstial for close to a year. My Father died when I was 1. My mother turn in as a drug addict. My Grandparents Came and got me and my sister from California. They came and took us to where I currently live, in Kentucky. I Had Close to 20 to 25 surgery's in Utah When I was Born. When my Grandparent's got me here in Kentucky They found a doctor in Louisville. He did about 5 surgery's He Fix My Stomach where I didn't had to have any more surgery's until I got 16 and I will explain that in a min. So I grown up like a normal child. I have no BELLY BUTTON. But when I was 5 ,6 ,7 My Doctor told me I didn't need a Belly Button. I have Disibility. I'm a slow learner. I had scrar revision when I was 16.
    Sarah25_2009

Answer by Sarah25_2009 at 11:38 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• This is Sarah again. When I was 16 I had Scar revisions. That when they put Like breast implants in my stomach. They Did that because of Gastroschisis. I had severe scars on my belly I wasn't proud of my scars. I have trouble walking and I have Back Problems too. I didn't craw Like a infant should. I craw on my back and I didn't start walking maybe until I was 3 or 4 years old. I'm 25 and I haven't got Preganant. I have a Period like women do. The Doctor told me he didn't know if I could have children or not. But I don't think I can because they told me I have a of tussie around uterus. I'm married got a wounderful husband. He is almost 40 and He always told me he would be fine if we couldn't have a child. It Hurt Me Everyday not Knowing if I can have a child.I have been having sex for 10 years. My tubes Maybe blocked. I hope and Pray that your child is OK.Bless you and your Family my e-mail is sarahandeddie2005@insightbb.com
    Sarah25_2009

Answer by Sarah25_2009 at 11:51 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I am 30weeks due in febuary with a baby girl who has gastroschisis as well. Most babies do well with it. It depends where you live and how good the NICU is there. I live by winnie palmer which is one of the best nicus in the country. they say anywhere from one month to 8weeks the baby should be there and it should only take one surgery the baby gets a belly button :) I am just praying for a miracle. Someimes the intestines fo in some so that the surgery isnt as severe. It depends how much is out of the baby on the surgery and time in the NICU.
    gatorgirly06

Answer by gatorgirly06 at 10:39 AM on Dec. 10, 2009