I'm getting desperate, my baby's in pain every day because of trying to go, or because of gas (warning: long)

I feel like I've been a googling machine, trying everything. Some days one thing will work, other days another, but most days it feels like nothing will work. It's weird because at night she doesn't show any signs that she has pain. She only wakes up once around 4-5AM to get changed and nurse on one side and then she's right back to sleep. It's during the day where she hurts. I know it's gas, she scrunches up, tenses up, cries, and kicks until finally she's able to pass gas, then right after it starts again until all of it is gone. This effects her sleep, she'll wake up multiple times during a nap and I'll have to hold her pacifier in to help her go back to sleep once the pains gone. She gnaws on it really hard when she's in pain and you can tell it's a comfort thing for her. Anyway, sometimes all it takes is me giving her pacifier to her for her to relax enough to go back to sleep. Most of the time however it takes 10-20mins and it's not even guaranteed that she'll stay asleep for long after that. It's gotten to the point where my husband and I will switch off every time on his days off. Most of the time I just have her as well as my toddler and it's hard. :/

I've wondered and researched sooo many things trying to figure out what I can do to help her. People keep saying to cut out dairy, but she never throws up or spits up and I've heard that's a really good indicator that a food is upsetting your baby. I do have a heavy let down to the point where she'll push out my nipple sometimes when it happens so I keep a towel next to me to avoid mess. I'll let it drain a little, burp her, and continue feeding her if she's still hungry. I probably burp her 2-4 times on each breast, so I know that's not why she's hurting. I thought it was thrush causing her the pain, but the medication they gave me was making her vomit after each time and we weren't even sure that she had it anyway. I'm just at the end here, the gripe water and gas drops don't work all the time and I just want her to feel better.

At this point I'm thinking it's time to just cut out all dairy and maybe start pumping bottles for her? We have supposed "colic" bottles that reduce air intake, I'm wondering if that'd be better for her. She's 6.2 weeks old and I'm hoping the 3 month rule (or sooner) applies to her for feeling better if this doesn't work. I can't take much more. :[

ours

Asked by ours at 3:38 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try pumping and putting your milk in a bottle. Dr. Brown are wonderful. If that doesn't work, change your diet. It's going to take process of elimination to find what works for her. Good luck.
    MOMof3_28

Answer by MOMof3_28 at 3:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• She may have ibs. My oldest has fought with it all his life and he also fights the lactose and Tolerance!
    ilovemy2angels

Answer by ilovemy2angels at 3:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• No bottles. It's in your diet. Cut out dair first. I suggest going to the breastfeeding group.
    Nameismommy

Answer by Nameismommy at 3:55 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I agree that it's your diet. Were you told what foods to not eat while breastfeeding? If not, google those. I didn't give up dairy but did have to give up other gassy foods.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I agree with the 2 previous posters about it being what you eat. I had a baby that was colicky. That was not a fun time. My baby never spit up. I have never been able to drink any dairy during my pregnancy. I didn't start drinking milk until my children were about 6 months old. With my colicky baby, I had to give up rice, beans, broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage before he was finally able to be a happy baby and would sleep through the night. Putting baby on his/her belly for a bit will sometimes help them to work out some of the gas.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 4:08 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I don't eat any so called "gassy" foods. The only thing it could be would be dairy. She gets a ton of belly time and it doesn't make a difference. She's in pain either way. I'll look up Dr. Brown bottles since I have Avent "colic" bottles now.
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 4:19 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I hope that the dairy is the only thing that is keeping her from being colicky.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 4:34 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Id love to know because my 7week old is the same way. He's more in pain at night tho when he's a little more awake. I would also suggest manually expressing some milk before she latches on to help with the overacvtive let down. Hope you get some answers about what's going on!
    Nicolenew

Answer by Nicolenew at 9:52 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• You've described a baby suffering form one of two things: Dairy reaction or overactive letdown.

Visit kellymom.com and look up their article on "causes of gassiness in baby." You'll find your answer there.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2011