Have u ever been in a babysitting coop, how did it work?

A couple of my close friends and I are thinking about starting a babysitting coop. How did you set things up? Any things we should avoid? Words of wisdom?

Star76

Asked by Star76 at 8:41 AM on Dec. 14, 2008 in General Parenting

• Whatever you do, make sure you get it in writting! Lots of parents like to suddenly change their mind and then not pay at the last minute or neglect pay to begin with. Receipts receipts receipts! Good luck with it :D
    saralouise

Answer by saralouise at 8:59 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• http://www.essortment.com/all/babysittingcoop_rvzh.htm

This has information about setting one up. There are a couple ways that I heard of, one is that one person (the "secretary") keeps track of the points, and the other is that each Mom gets 30 points worth of cards (a total of 30 points), with 1 hour or 1/2 hour or 1/4 hour per card. She pays someone who sits for her with the cards. When she gets down to 15 points worth of cards, she must start sitting to build her card amounts back up. The policy is one point per hour for the first child, and 1/2 point per hour for each additional child.

Answer by Bmat at 9:32 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• We had a questionnaire, things like smoking or no, guns in the house or no, pets - what kind, etc. Everyone in the group had a copy of everyone's answers, so you could choose based on what met your needs. While individuals could work out different plans, usually, if it was during the day, the kids came to the sitter, at night, the sitter went to the kids. You didn't HAVE to take the sitting job if you didn't want / it didn't work out.

We had tokens, and everyone started with so many. To get more, you had to sit for someone. Tokens were good for 1/2 hr time periods. We rounded down if it was before the quarter (or 3/4) hour, up if it was after it. If you have a substantially larger family than your friends, you might consider giving double tokens, etc.

Just some things that I remember from ours. Hope it helps.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:16 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• thanks so much ladies. I think at first it would be pretty informal, but I can see it getting out of hand. These are great ideas to keep in mind.
    Star76

Answer by Star76 at 3:40 PM on Dec. 14, 2008