Weaning help please...

I'm trying to PARTIALLY wean my son from the breast. He eats about 3-4 times a day, but I'm going back to school and 1 of his feedings is during the time I will be gone. I can never pump much out, and I don't want to have to worry about pumping while at school anyway.  He drinks out of a sippy well, but he will only drink a tiny bit, like 1-3oz. So, what are your weaning tips? How long did it take to wean them(partially or completely)? How did you get them to take more from the sippy/bottle? Any advice would be helpful.

hill_star03

Asked by hill_star03 at 3:59 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• You have 2months? In that time, you can gradually cut out the one nursing session that you will miss, and replace it with the goat milk, but you don't HAVE to replace it, you can easily just have the daycare offer water in a sippy with meals if you wanted. Then you're only weaning down 1 feeding total, am I right? This seems easy to me, and I think you're overthinking it. It'll probably be easy as pie, and you'll laugh that you ever worried about it. Good luck, and let me know how it goes. And let me know if I read wrong or miscalculated on how much you need to wean.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:45 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• You don't say how old your son is but I'm guessing if he's feeding only 3-4 times a day he must be about a year old? If he is over a year old you can try him with cows milk or better yet goats milk. Some people say give it cold but room temperature or slightly warmer I've found went down well. Obviously start some day when know you're going to be home and can see how he's getting on (weekend or holiday time) Also if you want to reduce the amount he's drinking you need to increase the amount of solid food he's eating. Batch cook fruit and veg purees and freeze in ice cube trays, or banana and ripe avocado mashed together was another popular one with my boys, and handy if you're out and about as you don't need to warm it up. Good luck
    Vonga

Answer by Vonga at 4:43 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• When your DS gets thirsty, he will start drinking more from the sippy cup. I have been where you are at. Your DS gets more when he nurses than when you pump. I just decided that I was going to not nurse my babies' during that specific time.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 4:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• He turned a year old yesterday. I'm giving him goat's milk. He is fine with it being cold, and while he's in daycare they won't heat it up, so that's not an option. He won't be starting daycare until he is 14 months old, but I want to ease him into it, so that's why I'm starting now.
    hill_star03

Comment by hill_star03 (original poster) at 4:55 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Yes, it's only one feeding. I'm fine with him self weaning on the rest of them. I just don't want to abruptly take it away and he doesn't really want to drink much out of the sippy, be it water or milk. I probably am worrying over nothing though :)
    hill_star03

Comment by hill_star03 (original poster) at 1:14 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• He won't really need anything to "replace" that nursing session since he's already 1. I bet once he's in childcare he WILL take to the sippy with his meals. Relax mama. Things will easily fall into place with this one, I believe.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2011