Potty training 3 1/2 yr old boy!

my husband is home from work on vaction the next 2 weeks and tomorrow he is helping me start potty training our 3 yr old! we are gonna do the every 30 mins the first day and every hour the second and no pull ups on underwear! has anybody used this method? its gonna be me AND my husband tackling this so i hope we have success! our first son was 4 wheen he trained and we are expecting baby number 3 soon so we are gonna try really hard! so wish us luck! :-)

cortneydmorris

Asked by cortneydmorris at 4:12 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My boys were much younger when I potty trained them. (I am not saying this as a slam to you. I only want you to understand my experiences.) My youngest was day potty trained by the time he was 10 months old. I did use the no training paints or pull ups and put him on the potty chair every 30 minutes. That worked great for him. With my 2nd and 3rd sons, they weren't interested in potty training. I forced them to do it. At first, it was difficult. For all 3 of my boys, their favorite thing to do during the potty training time was to let them pee on the tree or bush. They seemed to get that part real easy. They hated sitting on the potty chair. I was always prepared with carpet cleaner and many wash clothes for their many accidents. I was always thankful when they figured out what going potty was all about. Good luck on whatever method you use.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 4:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• i potty trained my son right before his third birthday, about a month and a half before. At this age they understand most of what you are telling them so I realy dont think you need to do the timer method. With my son i let him run around without any underwear/diapers and granted he had several accidents the first day, but when he did i would stop him and take him the bathroom and tell him that we go potty here and not wherever he was. The second day he held in until he HAD to go and when i noticed him doing a dance i took him to the bathroom and stepped outside so he could have privacy. He didnt go then but he did go later on in the day all by himself. We made a huge deal of it, had a mini party and that was that. Also if you can have DH show him that seems to help as well. Going number 2 was harder, i knew he had to go cause he was asking for a diaper all day long but i refused until six hours later he was desperate and went
    bc19

Answer by bc19 at 4:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• my son is 3 1/2 and about 2 weeks ago he was finally potty trained. when he was 2 1/2 he was showing some readiness ques so i tried what you are gonna do and it was an epic fail. I learned that you have to wait until they are ready to do it on their own. I simply planted the seed and cameron did the rest with time. Also if you are expecting a new baby the pre-schooler is likely to regress and start needing a diaper again anyway when baby comes. it seems like a bad time to try this, but good luck. Once my sone decided to do it it was super easy and no accidents - its gonna be much harder if you push him
    nurse_maya

Answer by nurse_maya at 8:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2011