Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Is this a reasonable motion to file?

I want to file a motion or put in the parenting plan that during my sons fathers visitation, my son cannot go on his grandfathers boat. My sons grandfather is an alcoholic and drives the boat drunk. I do not feel safe my son being on a boat in the middle of the ocean with a drunk person driving the boat. Also can I put in the motion that I need a phone number for my sons bio dad and an address to where he takes him during visitation because I don't have a number or address?

Answer Question

Asked by twistedtmama at 4:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 3 (15 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Yes, you should have contact information. BUT be cafeful after that - if you go to a wedding, family or friend, have a few drinks, take your son and want to drive home. You ex could ban you from doing that. Just be careful not to open a can of worms of what he can and can't do cuz remember it can all be turned back on you.
    my ex once refused to use booster seats, I had the local law enforment go talk to him about car seats and safely. He'd moved five hours away and was drving back and forth with the kids. BUT then, when my mom would pick them up and not have ha booster seat - he could have turned that back on me. They were ages 5 & 6, almost too big for booster seats but his driving such a long distance scared me and he worked nights. I knew, he's get off work and drive here and back with them with little sleep.

    Answer by SassySue123 at 4:51 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

  • I think that is completely reasonable...and I'm a little shocked that you two weren't told you had to provide the other with an address and phone number already!!

    Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:54 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

  • I don't drive, and if I did I would never drink and get behind the wheel if I did. I don't feel it's opening a can of worms, I don't think anyone would want their child on a boat with an alcoholic driving the boat.

    Comment by twistedtmama (original poster) at 4:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

  • Sounds reasonable to me.

    Answer by Kimedbs at 5:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

  • its not unreasonable but u may have to prove it.and when i went to court for this he didnt have to have a working phne but did have to let me know where he was going .depending on how long your ex has been in the pic consistantly,it might be more difficult to get....might jst go for your ex to have supervised vistiations with your son ..pick out ppl you can trust and then your ex can choose wear to take him from thse ppl you have i chose his step dad his mom and aunt....and my ex can only take her there everyother weekend and from 8am-1pm..but as long as thse ppl r with him he can do and take your son wearever and around whoever he wnts too

    Answer by rachel216 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

  • I am pretty sure I can prove he drives the boat drunk, I was with my sons father for five years, and I went on the boat a couple of times.

    Comment by twistedtmama (original poster) at 8:29 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

  • seeing as U ARE HIS PARENT u do have the right to know where ur child is staying and the number to get ahold of him. And u will have to provide proof that his grandfather is an alcholic. GL hun

    Answer by msmamakatie at 7:27 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

  • Well the grandfather does have a breath thing on his car that he has to breath into for the car to start.

    Comment by twistedtmama (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.