Potty Training

My son is almost 3 and I have been trying to potty train him for about a year now. He goes pee in his potty but won't go poop. If he has underwear on he will poop on himself and come tell me he wants to be changed and the same goes for when he wears pull ups and goes poop. Any ideas on how I can get him to go poop in the potty?

Lokah13

Asked by Lokah13 at 9:38 AM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• IDK if anyone is going to bash this or not...but when my daughter would poo in her panties i would make a big deal about how gross and yucky it was. but then i did that her whole life with diapers... i would say something like "eww poopie doesnt go in your panties you neeed to go to the toliet...eww yucky thats gross" and show her me throwing th poop in the toliet, and we flush and say good bye...if she pulled her pants down and did it on the floor i made her get a baby wipe or peice of toliet paper and throw her poop in the toliet.
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 9:52 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• We did the same thing as above. Both of my boys hated popping in the toilet, but they also hated having to clean themselves up. Of course I didn't make them clean themselves up when we first started trainging...but after they KNEW how to poop in the toilet and had done it several times, I made them clean themselves after an accident. They would rather poop in the toilet than do that!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:43 AM on Dec. 14, 2008