Consequence for taunting?

I watch my nieces. I also have my 5 kids. My 4 yr old niece has started taunting my younger son age 3. I've been doing timeouts, but now my kids have started taunting each other and her. Basically every one has been taunting each other. It could just be that timeouts need more time to take effect, but I just don't feel like its effective or proper for this type of behavior. I like consequences that fit the behavior. So i'm looking for something else that may be more effective. Ages of all the kids that are involved in the taunting are 3,4,4,5,7.

Any ideas ladies? And I'm not against making them do chores for their misbehavior.

daughteroftruth

Asked by daughteroftruth at 4:48 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• In situations like this I find it's best to let the kids work it out on their own.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 4:52 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I have 5, and 2 grandkids so been there myself. I listen, see if its bad, and only step in when I need to. It teaches conflict resolution.

Answer by gemgem at 4:54 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

I have thought about that, however, the older 4 have been picking on the 3 yr old. Which I cannot tolerate. He doesn't play with them very much, and the other 4 like to hang out and play with each other. I can tell that the separation is starting to effect the 3 yr old.
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 4:55 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• OH... and I asked my husband and his response was, "well in football taunting is a 15 yard penalty".... nice honey, that helps a lot.
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 4:56 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I would no longer babysit .
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 5:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• "I would no longer babysit ."

That is not an option. I love my nieces and will not see them in daycare when I can watch them myself. My sister in law works really hard, goes to school, and helps me with my 5 whenever I need it. I could not, nor would I ever push them away due to a normal child hood behavior. Its my job and responsibility to get a handle on this situation and discipline it properly. I don't just give up on things when they get hard. I could NEVER do that to my nieces.
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 5:16 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• What about holding "court"? sit all of the kids down and thoroughly explain the behavior and why it's wrong. Let the kids vote on which punishment should be given for that particular behavior (from a list of maybe 3 things that you deem appropriate). Set up a wall chart using the stop light theory "red, yellow, & green card"........when you observe or one of the other kids reports bad behavior, then have the child pull a card (green & yellow are warnings......red= punishment, like doing chores, writing for the older kids, etc.). The more you have them involved in the process, the better the result. And they have a clear visual as to how they've behaved.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 5:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• LOL that is right bcauseimthemom...throw the baby out with the bath water. Your advice was as helpful as her hubby's.

You can (and probably have) used the taunting is as a teaching moment. I would not let taunting go because it is the start of bullying. I am fond of time outs and talking. It does not alway work. Perhaps the older ones can team up with the younger ones to do fun tasks. Maybe if the feel a little responsible for eachother, they will feel compassion for the other in these situations...lol maybe not. You will have to expirament.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 5:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I would listen to the situation and if it deems an action of some sort then that is what I'd do otherwise just tell them you would appreciate that they didn't do this in front of the 3 year old and also involve him in some of the playtime if that doesn't work then giving them chores to do may help. Just let them know that the 3 year old wants to play also and that he should be allowed to play for awhile and then you entertain him
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 6:15 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• hello sarah here I have used early bedtime as punishment for telling that has worked in my home, they get the hint fast when the tatler will be in bed at 7pm when sibblings are up haveing fun. try it thanks sarah
    misssarah187

Answer by misssarah187 at 6:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2011