my son is 16 months

he won't sleep in a wet or poopy diaper I know he's too young to potty train but he is driveing me crazy cuz I put him down for naps and he is dry then all of a sudden he will either wake up and cry or just take off his diaper and play in his poop or even take off his diaper and go to sleep and pee all over what should I do?

Everettsmom163

Asked by Everettsmom163 at 9:58 AM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My friend's son was potty trained by the time he was 22 maybe 23 mths. and they started at about 17 months. Try it. If it doesn't work you always have sleepers to stop the commando moments:) Good luck.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 2:22 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• My oldest son when he was younger was dry by 18 months as he was uncomfortable by 11 months, I would say that if he WANTS to potty train then it's not too early, and that you may as well give it a go honey, good luck. Every child his different remember, there's no set age to do anything.
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 10:00 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Not liking a wet or dirty diaper is NOT a potty training sign. Anyone, no matter how young, will let you know when they are uncomfortable or don't like something. That does not mean they have any understanding of how they caused the problem in the first place.

I'd suggest putting duct tape over the diaper tabs and/or putting him down in one piece outfits like footie PJs or onsies. If he wakes and wants a clean diaper, fine, change him. But at least he won't take the diaper off and play in the poop or wet everywhere.

Haleykarson is right - potty training has nothing to do with age. Except: the younger the child, the more work the parent must do until the child is old enough to take over all the potty related tasks on their own with no help or prompting.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:03 PM on Dec. 14, 2008