BirthControl Questions?

I've never been on birthcontrol, but i've found out that my daughter is sexually active well she was at once anyways, and i want to put her on birthcontrol, ive explained to her that it doesnt give her the right to have sex it just protects her. I've heard from a few people that it Stops your period completly , and it can cause problems with getting pregnant when shes older, and i dont want her to have that problem with getting pregnant when shes older. So has anyone ever had this happen or anything else i should be aware of before starting her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• No the oral birth control does not stop your period. Sometimes the IUD's can.
    I would recomend getting her on the Yasmin birth control
    or either Ortho tri cyclin.
    Both are daily pills that you take.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• only the IUD stops it completely but the pills do not actually it helps regulate your periods the ortho tri cyclin is a good one, it helps with break out from acne, so that might a good one for her since she's a teen. google ortho tri cyclin for the website and it will break down all the info you'll need to know on it.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 10:10 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Depends on the birth control. Seasonel you have 4 periods a year (its a pill), Depo shot sometimes stops periods usually with continued use but some bleed non stop, regular pills like ortho tri cyclin you have regular cycles but if your late to take a pill or stop you could have break though bleeding. Neuva ring is regular cycles but some report it is difficult to use because it is a ring placed on the cervix that is replaced once a month. The doctors will not give her the IUD because to get on that one you should have at least had one child. The patch is just put on once a week with one week of not putting one on at all. For a teen the shot or the patch is usually the best because teens tend to forget a pill here and there. If it were my teen I'd probably go for the patch, regular cycles just have to remember to change that patch once a week. Dangers are associated with all of them.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 10:27 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I don't know why somebody would say that an IUD would stop your period completely. Obviously they have no idea what they are talking about. If you don't know what you are talking about you shouldn't be giving advice. I have and IUD and I still have regular periods. I know 4 of my friends have IUD's and they all have regular periods...and when my doctor was giving me all the information and telling me about the IUD nothing was said (nor did I read anything) about not having a period. And babyfat5 is correct, a teen would not be given an IUD.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• There are so many options out there now days to put them on. I for one support and use Mirena
    Like to Keep Life Simple?
    Imagine birth control you don't have to think about.1
    Want hassle-free, 99.8% effective birth control for up to 5 years (or less, if you choose)2? Mirena® is an estrogen-free intrauterine contraceptive for women who are looking for a contraceptive option to help simplify their lives. It's for women who have decided their families are just the right size, it's for expectant mothers to consider after they have had their baby, and it's for women who aren't satisfied with their current form of contraceptive. And, it can be removed at any time for a quick return to fertility2. Like to keep life simple? Then Mirena
    texasMOMto4

Answer by texasMOMto4 at 12:27 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Certain forms of BC can stop your period (usually temporary) I would definatly go with her to the Dr and inform yourself of the different types out there, and which would be best suited for her. Such a great thing your DD can come to you, and you are able to support her without condoning what she is doing! And without making her feel shameful or bad over it. GOOD FOR YOU!!
    LoriLou75

Answer by LoriLou75 at 12:30 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Oral hormonal birth control (the "pill") helps to regulate and make your periods lighter for most women. It does NOT affect your future fertility. I got pregnant immediately when I stopped taking birth control both times. Your daughter would most likely not be a candidate for Mirena because she is not an adult in a monogamous relationship (yes that's stupid, but that 's what the doctor told a friend of mine. maybe other doctors would go for it.) I really think that you should take her to the doctor and talk to the doctor with her or else let her talk to the doctor alone about ALL of her options and allow her to choose which one is best for her (or if you are close, choose together). Get your facts straight and dispel the myths before you help her decide.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 3:07 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• ANY form of hormonal birth control can cause problems....several of my friends have had clots, and 1 is now infertil
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:13 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• PLEASE also remind your daughter to have her partner use condoms! Birth control will not protect against diseases.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:25 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• My daughters are on the depo,because,I am afraid they will not remember to take a pill.But I do explain,that a condom is to be used also.
    Anonymous