Can a 2 year old develop eczema

My son has never had skin problems before. Last night he spent the night with grandma and today when I picked him up he had a rash on his chest and on his elbow. The one on the elbow looks like eczema, but the chest is really spotty with a few rough eczema like patches. He's scratching at them like crazy and I feel so bad. I'll have him into the Dr tomorrow if it's not cleared up. I'm just wondering if it's possible for a 2 year old to get eczema when they've never had it before.

Quentinsmamma

Asked by Quentinsmamma at 6:03 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes eczema can flare up at any time & come & go or so that is my understanding. Look it up on google there is tons of info my daughter had it when she was little but outgrew it. I remember reading lots about it though.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 6:10 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Yes, but because of the sudden onset, you should also consider poison ivy/poison oak, or an allergic reaction to something at grandma's house.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 6:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Yes. You can develop an allergy at any point in life. :(
    wickedfiress

Answer by wickedfiress at 6:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Sure can - and I agree with Kimedbs. Consider other things as well, including triggers at grandma's house that you may not have at yours. Also ask what he ate. My 4 year old has had eczema since he was a month old and sometimes food can trigger flare-ups when he's cleared up.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 6:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Yes eczema can flare up at any time & come & go but because of the sudden onset, you should also consider poison ivy/poison oak, or an allergic reaction to something; I would call the doctor
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 6:16 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• yes, but you should just get it checked out and get medicine for the flare ups and learn about any preventitive measures. good luck sweetie! My daughter has had strange things on her cheek and nobody has helped us!
    SOPHIASMOM

Answer by SOPHIASMOM at 7:32 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Thanks for the info ladies. I did wonder about poison ivy because I've had that several times and it looks similar. I think I'm going to have to just talk to the doctor because I can't seem to help the itching for him.
    Quentinsmamma

Comment by Quentinsmamma (original poster) at 11:11 AM on Jun. 27, 2011