Does anyone ever feel guilty or have their spouse make them feel guilty for not having an income?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 6:40 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Relationships

• When I was younger I sort of did, but as I grew older and wiser, I realized I did a lot to earn my keep and whatever money came in was just as much mine as it was his, because without me he would not have made any and would have had to pay a nanny to do what I did!

Answer by older at 6:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• No he made me feel guilty for getting a job....go figure. I did have a perfect stranger once tell me I should keep my legs closed because he seen me with a foodstamp card. That made me feel pretty shitty little did he know it was my moms card not mine. People can be really harsh sometimes.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 6:45 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I never felt guilty for being a SAHM. If I wasn't taking care of them, I'd be paying something else to do it, so I AM contributing!
    Anonymous

• No, I'm a SAHM and I know I'm doing my part. If I didn't stay home with them, a huge chunk of our paychecks would be going to daycare - and I do a much better job with my kids than a total stranger would! But me staying at home is a decision my husband and I agreed to together (of course, I wouldn't have continued to date and then marry a man who didn't think being a SAHM was an important job)

Answer by missanc at 8:48 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• My husband says that it is his "duty" to make the money for me and our family, he believes this with all his heart. So,no, he has never ever made me feel guilty because he brings home the bacon. If anything, he's apologetic that he can't give me more even though it's obvious I'm happy with what we have. I think he just naturally wants to give all he can. He's a natural born giver!! I worked for 15yrs in advertising so I have a nest egg. I do not ever feel guilty. I contribute a tremendous amount in manual labor to run this home, family and part of the business too. I just don't feel guilty. I don't think moms should feel guilty or be made to feel guilty either If am pulling all my weight. If I am sitting around all day letting the house and things go and then want hubby to come home from work to work some more..then that might cause problems in our household.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 10:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• No. We agreed when I had children that I would stay at home with them. I love my job as wife and mother. The Lord has provided all of our needs and some wants as well. There's no need for anyone to feel guilty if they stay at home and work. It's a very tough job and women are great at it.
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 12:56 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I feel guilty all the time cause my car is broken and I also have no money to do anything go anywhere and i have a hard time seeing my daughter during the week. I sent her to live with her grandma because of my lack of job and I don't have my own place. :(
    being jobless sucks
    CEWarsop

Answer by CEWarsop at 7:02 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I do feel bad because I know we are really tight on money, but I also know that I can not do all that I do for our family at home and work outside the home too. I homeschool my kids and take care of all of the household responsibilities. There are not enough hours in the day for me to fit in a job and keep up with all I do. I do some online work to help out, but it's sporadic. )c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:25 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I do every once in a while especially when someone else says something like, "oh, you dont work?" or something like that but then my DF tells me that compared to my job his job is child's play and that makes me feel better.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 10:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Once. I figured out how much daycare would cost for all my children, and and sent him a bill. Now he pays ME his entire paycheck, so I am officially the breadwinner now. He has never made a comment about it since then.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 11:50 AM on Jun. 27, 2011