When do u get baby test done for baby, still pregnant

how far along do you have to be to get tests done. first time momther and father. need help. what a healthy child/baby. my baby book said i have to do some, but never said when?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Um, at around 20 weeks you should be getting an ultrasound to check gestation and see if it's a boy/girl (if you want to know). If you get/have What To Expect When You're Expecting it should all be in there. You can always call your doctor and ASK. There is also a gestational diabetes test in your second trimester (I think it is).

My "babies" are 4 and 7 now so I don't really remember what all was done when.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:20 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Well, there are the tests that rose hawk mentioned, a strepb test which is done around 34-36 weeks ( just a procaution nothing to do with your growing baby). If your asking for things like an amniocentesis, it could do more harm than good, and would the fact your little had something wrong with it, would you still carry to term? If so, I say skip that. Most doctors don't even ask.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 7:25 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Depends upon the tests and if you decide to do them or not. They do a nuchal translucency test around 11-14 weeks. They do a triple screen between 15 and 20 weeks, though 16-18 weeks are said to be the best times to get the most accurate results. Both of these test for down syndrome. These tests are not mandatory. They usually take into consideration your risk factors (age, family history, etc.) and let you know whether or not they're recommended.They will also do an ultrasound between 18 and 20 weeks that will examine all of the baby's vital organs and make sure that everything is growing properly and that there are no birth defects. This is also usually the BIG ultrasound where you will find out the sex of the baby, if you're wanting to. Between 24 and 28 weeks, you'll have a glucose tolerance test to test for gestational diabetes.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 7:30 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• i got my testing done when i was 16weeks it was the quad screening and the one where they test for downs this is my 2nd and bc my dd test came back neg for the nural tube defects i didnt need it done with this one that doesnt change from pergancy to pergancy..sry my spelling sucks soo tried right now...good luck and congrats
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 7:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• also about th 28th week youll be getting checked for gestational diabeties. dont fret your doc or midwife is there to help yall when the time comes :)
    bamamommy2009

Answer by bamamommy2009 at 10:05 PM on Jun. 26, 2011