How much should I let my toddler PLAY with his new potty?

At 21 months he hasn't shown any signs of being ready to start, but I got him a potty just to get familiar with. He's developed a little ritual of sitting on it for a few seconds before his bath. He's always trying to pull the seat off and carry it around, and of course put things in it, take it apart, handle it.... I don't want to be all over his case and make it a negative thing, but I'm thinking, I don't want him to develop the habit of handling it like this if/when there's poop and pee in it. What would you suggest?

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 7:19 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would suggest making sure it is sanitary at all times, first. It is good to allow him to be familiar with it and not be scared or anything. I would gently advise him that it is for sitting and not playing and try to divert him...especially when he starts using it. My son was like that, too. Praise him when he sits on it. My son accidentally peed in it a couple times and figured it out from there. Praise, praise praise when it happens!
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 11:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• be sure its clean
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 4:55 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Yeah, it's clean now. I'm just afraid when he starts using it, if he's in the habit of playing with it, he might at some point get to playing with it before I'm able to clean it, or without my knowledge.
    Adelicious

Comment by Adelicious (original poster) at 5:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• my daughter does the same thing she plays with the potty but last night when she went poop in the potty for the 1st time last night when she was done i took her potty away so she don't play in the poop
    taratennant60

Answer by taratennant60 at 7:08 AM on Jun. 28, 2011