Can your 2-3 year old hold it during naps or bedtime?

My 2 1/2 year old son has been potty trained for about 4-5 months now except for his nap during the day and bedtime we've been putting him in diapers. I kept telling myself that I'd wait until he started waking up with dry diapers to get rid of them, but he never does even though he can hold it for hours during the day. Well today I decided we'd try his first nap without a diaper. He can open his door if he wants and doesn't like feel wet on his clothes so hopefully it works out well! If he wets the bed I'll handle it like I did when he used to pee on the carpet or in his shorts and hopefully it'll work! I've just been hearing so much about toddlers doing fine without diapers for bed so I figured I'd give it a try.

How about you guys? How many of your toddlers can make it through a nap? What about the whole night? If he consistently does well with nap time and seems to understand how it works I'll try bedtime then.

ours

Asked by ours at 7:25 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Id say if he is waking up with wet diapers, I would wait... Is he wetting during sleep? Or just before getting out of bed?
    It doesnt hurt to try. :) I loved not having to buy anymore diapers!!! :)
    Night time can be tricky for kids. They "come to" knowing they need something, but are not in the right mind to know they woke up to pee. Confused they will just lay & go back to sleep- or dream of getting up- and pee on themself..
    We live with my mom right now & DD sleeps with her. Sometimes the confusion happens to my dd.. Im sure if she didnt have my mom with her we would have a few accidents in the bed (she has not had an accident in bed for over a year).

My dd potty trained in a week & within a month had dropped diapers completely. She was about 28mo..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:41 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• We have been potty training for a almost a year now. The first couple of months he was doing great during the day, but had to wear pull-ups at night. I did not force the issue. We noticed a couple of weeks ago that he has been dry at night. he still prefer to wear his overnight(good thing had an accident the other night), but as soon as he get up in the morning he is taking it off and putting his underwear on. I learned to let him take the lead and not force the issue. I am so proud of my little man! I hope everything works out! It does take time.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 7:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• My 2 year old holds it for nap times and sometimes for bedtime.
    H.I.S.

Answer by H.I.S. at 8:16 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• my son actually is dry after 12 hours of sleep and the happened long BEFORE he was potty trained. Its been months since he's had a wet diaper in the morning, but i still use pull-ups at night because full potty training only occured recently
    nurse_maya

Answer by nurse_maya at 8:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Hi guys, I potty trained my daughter before she was 2, I was nervous but we did it cold turkey, no pull ups, I felt she was going to be confused with a pull up, becuz she thought it was a pamper. So straight to panties, and nothing to drink after 7pm. She did awesome. She is 3 now, and never had a accident. ;)
    2and1

Answer by 2and1 at 8:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• My dd is 2.5 and fom the very beginning of potty training she stayed dry for nap and thru out the night. I would take your Childs pamper off and let them sleep in their underwear. Maybe they can do it and just don't know it yet. My dd was better about holding it at naps and night then during the day lol but has quickly become fully potty trained. You said he holds it so that shows he's capable. Keep uo his confidence and give him oppurtunity consistently and he will show you really how well he'll handle it. GL
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 8:53 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• not really
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 4:54 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• She can't hold it while she's napping or sleeping, but she knows when to go when she's awake.
    TashaStar81

Answer by TashaStar81 at 1:53 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• im not exspecting her to hold her pee or poop but i put diapers on my babygirl at night
    taratennant60

Answer by taratennant60 at 7:07 AM on Jun. 28, 2011