What should i call my son? and do alot of people call kids by there middle name

we are going to name him timothy allen

timothy was my dad name (r.i.p)

my husband dont want to call him allen but i think it may be hard for me to call him timothy

keithamy06

Asked by keithamy06 at 7:28 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Baby Names

• Then name him Allen Timothy and honor your father that way. I never understood why people called kids by their middle names.
    jteffs

Answer by jteffs at 7:29 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I named my son Dylan John. Well, that's what his father picked. I called him DJ. When he was a couple of years old, I started calling him Dylan. When he was a teenager he wanted to be called DJ. Now as an adult he wants to be called Dylan. I had nicknames for all of them, but I found as they got older I just used their given names. It may change as you go along.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I would never call any of my kids by their middle names. If I wanted that to be what they are called that is what I would have named them. If you don't think you can handle calling him by his name maybe you should use the name as a middle name??
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 7:30 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Well, what's your last name start with? My nephews name is alastor. And along with his 2 middle names and last name it spells Adam, so he might be called Adam. You already had the ta... My hubbys name is timothy Joseph and he wanted to be called tj, but it never stuck... You'll need to call him that almost from day 1.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 7:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• My husband goes by his middle name. So does his brother.
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 7:36 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I guess I'm the odd one out. There are two people in my family that go by their middle names. And I don't see it as a big deal. My little sister is Anna Beth. We call her Beth. Mom liked Beth better than Anna, but still liked Anna well enough to use it. Anna Beth sounds much better than Beth Anna, so, that's what she named her. Same thing with my cousin Cody. His name is John Cody, John after my grandpa. My aunt didn't want any confusion having two John's, but John Cody sounds better than Cody John. So we just use Cody instead.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 7:38 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• His name id Dustin Micheal, the only time I use his middle name is when he's in trouble, then I use his full name!
    dustinsmom1

Answer by dustinsmom1 at 7:52 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• You could call him Tim, Timmy, or by his middle name...
    mrskgill06

Answer by mrskgill06 at 9:03 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• My DD's name is Scarlett Abigail and we call her Abby, which is short for her middle name.

I think Timothy Allen flows better than Allen Timothy. You could call him Tim or Timmy for short if you couldn't handle calling him Timothy.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 9:40 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• All but one of my kids goes by their middle name and after doing so for 17 1/2 years, warning, it can be difficult. We just thought it was good to continue the trend. Our one that goes by his first name we had intended for him to go by his middle name but the grandpa we named him after wouldn't have it and he goes by his first. All the kids are named for a grandparent and then our chosen name. It is only difficult to use the middle name when it comes to legal issues or like when my second son was marked absent his first two weeks of kindergarten because he had no idea his name was Kenneth and the teacher had no idea his name was Ruger. It was pretty funny when the school called about where my son had been and we figured out why they couldn't find the paperwork on the extra student when I told them my son had been at school everyday. Moral is if you use the middle name make sure they know their first name too.
    t3dragonflies

Answer by t3dragonflies at 10:21 AM on Jun. 27, 2011