How to get aquainted with my faith and let others know I'm serious?

I am 24 y/o and I do not have an exact denomination although i do believe in God and consider myself Christian. I havent lived the most saint life (but who does) and after experiencing a baby out of wedlock and now a single mother I'd like to change somethings. I do have a couple of piercings and a tattoo, and I'm afraid by trying to make better choices as abstaining from sex as long as possible (Id like it to be until marriage,but Im only human) That people or guys I should say will look at choiches I've made cant hide the tattoo or my son and say why now or how can ypu be on a religious road now and you've done this, this, and that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:36 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• first off God doesn't look at appearances....he looks at your heart. I also believe once forgiven always forgiven. Jesus died for your sins past present and future. You are secure in your salvation
    Cenedra64

Answer by Cenedra64 at 7:54 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Don't let people judge you based on tattoos and piercings. I am a Christian that goes to church on a regular basis....I have 4 tattoos and I know many good Christians that also have tattoos, piercings, ect. God doesn't judge and if you are Christian he has already forgiven you for any sin that you will commit in your entire life!
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 8:12 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• You are who you are and as you stated noone is perfect.

Your spiritual journey is YOURS not anyone elses. If you feel connected to the Divine(whatever higher power that may be) then you are connected. No church or leaders or other members of any church can change that and only YOU can let them make you feel guilty for your life led and such.

Strengthen your faith, your spirituality and stop worrying about outer appearances.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:55 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• People who are going to claim that faith and still judge you based on your appearance are doing it wrong - it will be your first cue that they're more interested in appearing Christian than being Christian, and a good signal for you to write them off. In the long run, that's a good thing - think of it as early jerk detection radar.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• here's the thing, OP: what 'sins' you may have committed that happen to be visible probably are equal to other's invisible ones. besides, what's more important is your choices and committment to better yourself, by what ever means you deem necessary. if those you come into contact with judge you for what they 'see', then they aren't 'seeing' the real you..are they?

1 samuel 16:7 "The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.”
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:40 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• *others' *
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:41 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• If a guy has a problem with your tattoo, piercings, or your son, he is not the guy for you. If a church has a problem with your tattoo or your piercings, it is not the church for you. God accepts and loves you AS YOU ARE. Heck, I have a tattoo and I will be getting two more in honor of my sons. Many folks in my church are tattooed--one even owns a tattoo shop! If you want to let people know you are serious about your religious journey, all you have to do is act like it. Quite simple really. You can't get so hung up on what everybody else thinks. The important thing is to live your best life and be a shining example for your son.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:56 AM on Jun. 27, 2011