Why should prayer be allowed in school?

I hear this complaint ALL the time from people of the religious persuasion. "They've taken prayer out of school!'

What does public school education have to do with prayer/god/religion?

Why do you feel it MUST be a part of public school life?

Do you think all children attending public school should be forced to pray to your particular god?

Would you be okay with your child being forced to pray to a god you didn't believe in every day before math class?

What makes you think that prayers in schools will 'make things better'?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:36 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I don't understand why people get their panties all up in a bunch over not having prayer in public schools. Can't people just pray in their heads any dang time they want? Why waste the teachers and students time by having prayer. I pray in my head all the time and no one's time is wasted, no one gets offended, and I'm still able to talk to God whenever I want, about whatever I want.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:51 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Personally, I think there shouldn't be prayer in public school. For starters, what prayer would that be? A particular branch of Christianity? What about the many students that don't abide by those beliefs? I'm Jewish and I would be beyond pissed if my children were encouraged to pray to Jesus. IMHO, if a parent wants his child to pray in school, then take them to a private school that shares your beliefs. That's what I do. Sure, it's hard, it's a sacrifice, but to me it's important. If the parent cannot afford a private school then either keep the religious education at home and accept a secualr education at school or consider homeschooling.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:47 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Our kids are drinking, fornicating, smoking, using foul language, killing their parents, very disrespectful to all adults, killing each other, fighting, using drugs, tattooing their bodies, stealing, saying lies, and much more"

It's called Bad Parenting, it has nothing to do with religious beliefs.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• "Our kids are drinking, fornicating, smoking, using foul language, killing their parents, very disrespectful to all adults, killing each other, fighting, using drugs, tattooing their bodies, stealing, saying lies, homosexuality, and much more"

Wow... maybe your kids are like that, but mine aren't. My teens are not perfect, I know that. However, there are so many kids out there who are great, and they don't do any of those things. It doesn't matter if they are religious or not, what matters is that their parents teach them right from wrong, and what is important... not school prayer. The problem isn't with a lack of God, it's because society has created spoiled people for several generations now. Besides, I find that the majority of the kids doing those things you complain about come from the strictist of religious households!
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:56 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• "How are you going to stop someone from praying in their own head? "

You can't. Which lends itself to the idea that christian want forced group participation....in order to recruit more followers to their god. They need their god recognized by ALL people ALL the time, it seems.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:55 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• "I just don't see why people are so afraid of prayer. If they believe that it's a myth, then what are they so afraid of? "

Because let's be honest, it's NOT JUST about prayer. It's about indoctrinating others into the belief of YOUR god...it's not like people want school held prayers to Odin, correct?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• "He is suppose to be included in all we do. "

NO ONE is stopping you from doing this. So stop your damn bitching and go pray to your god and stop trying to require that I or my kids be forced to do it with you.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• God made the world and us, He is suppose to be included in all we do.

>>> You took up all the allotted space with your prior rant, so I used this. You and your mindset are exactly why prayer should not be allowed in school.

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 9:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Our schools every morning have a moment of silence to pray or reflect, I think that is a good compromise. They do not say it is a time of prayer, just a time of silent reflection.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• School districts are independent entities and the leanings and flavors are so different that it would be impossible to monitor a thing like "prayer in school" Most proponents of school prayer are Christian and the theme of prayer would be influenced by that fact.
    I prefer a secular public/society and do not want anyone's particular or a regions majority religion to dictate the mores of a school district.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 7:48 PM on Jun. 26, 2011