Back child support on a 7 year old

My ex new about my DD, he signed the BC . I have had a child support order on my ex for 7 years, since my DD was 2 months old. However, he never paid, he got the order and moved out of state. Well he has been found and the amount he owes totals to over $26,000 not including interest. He got married and has 2 other children. His wife called me and said I am being unfair because to ask that much would take away from her children. I said I am sorry but what about mine? We went 7 years with no help and he purposely evaded the order. I am not saying they have to pay it all at once but he does need to pay it plus start paying child support and pay interest on the back child support too. Am I being unreasonable?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• yes, you are being reasonable.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 7:59 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• No not at all. She would feel the same if it was her. Those are the consequences of his actions, or non actions should I say. Your kids deserve no less than hers just because she is with him
    BitsMom00

Answer by BitsMom00 at 8:01 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• i would do whatever to get it...im 23 and my dad never paid child support for me. and my mom never did anything about it he owes me so much money they split when i was 6wks old
    alw06tchs

Answer by alw06tchs at 8:01 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• It took me nine years to get justice for my children. They are all grown now except the youngest, 13. I now divide the meager amount between them all. Unreasonable. I think not! I cry when I think of my brilliant son, an 'A' student in Physics and Trig, desperately needing a scientific calculator and instead getting shoes because his had a rip down the side and it was one or the other. I had 3 jobs during this time, so they not only did without necessities, they did without their mum much of the time! Yes, go for the support for your child's sake. You are their only advocate!
    mum7

Answer by mum7 at 8:02 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• No, you're not. It's not your fault he didn't pay it when he was supposed to. If he had kept up with his monthly payments, he would owe you nothing. When you buy a car and owe $400 a month and decide not to pay it they repossess the car and come after you for what you owe.
    Usually the court won't make him pay it all at once and they will give him a monthly amount to pay in arrears. Probably be small, like $100 a month until he is caught up.
    But you are not being unreasonable. He should have been taking care of his child for the last seven years.
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 8:02 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Thanks, she says because I already supported her, what's the point in paying it back? Which IMO doesn't make sense because most of child support is just reimbursing the CP for the NCP's share of the cost of the child. For example, I don't many CPs would say "sorry hunny, you have to wait till the child support comes in to get new shoes or whatever.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:03 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I have already spoken to a lawyer who said that with interest, he will prob owe close to $40,000 and will have to hand over his income tax return every year until it is paid off plus he will also have to make monthly payments in addition to the child support.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:07 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I got a vote down because I told her she is being reasonable...really? So she doesn't deserve back support?????
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:08 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Nope, not at all. He was ordered to pay and chose to run instead. This is the consequence of his actions.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:08 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Oooops. Sorry MrsMWF, I am one who voted you down, and just realized I TOTALLY read your comment wrong.

*hangs head and attempts to pull foot out of mouth*

I SAW: yes, you are being [un]reasonable.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2011