Long Haired Mamas, how do you deal with it?

I have long hair. It's layered and I'm tryin to grow it out so it's closer to one length with a few long layers. Anyway, I ALWAYS pull it up. Sometimes, I will pull it half up but very rarely. I love the thought and idea of long hair but I can't handle it down. So, ponytails and messy buns is about it. I would like to leave it down more but need ideas on how to handle it.

huntin_mama

Asked by huntin_mama at 8:07 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I was the exact same way. But I went on a "mission" to keep my hair down for a while just because it can look so much more beautiful. It was really annoying for the first couple - few weeks, but I got used to the feeling after that. I don't have the type of hair that you can just wash and allow to air dry, so I shower at night before bed and in the morning I use hot rollers or, more recently, this thing called the TopStyler. Either of those make it easy to have well done looking hair.
    cypressandsage

Answer by cypressandsage at 12:25 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I have thick hair down to my butt, and I like to do pony tails, buns (non messy), pig tails, braids, and I do leave it down. Usually I leave it down during winter, and put it up during summer. But I love my long hair, not just the idea of it, and I think thats what helps. If you don't want to do anything with it, I would cut it. It can always grow back.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 8:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Don't cheap out on shampoo and conditioner. Use the good stuff.

Only use a wide tooth comb, especially when it's wet. Be careful what kinds of bands or clips you use to prevent breakage.

I usually comb it straight and let it air dry, but sometimes if I'd like to style it, I'll blow dry, then straighten or curl it.
    wickedfiress

Answer by wickedfiress at 8:16 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• My hair has been long for at least the last 10 years. I just recently decided to go shorter....so with that, I had about 5 inches taken off, then the next month another 5. It is now shoulder length and I'm even contemplating going a bit shorter....I will say, I don't miss it. I too always was in a pony or messy bun...no style. Good luck!
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 8:12 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• mine is always in a pony tail or messy bun . lol
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 8:18 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• My hair is just slightly longer that my waist. I've had long hair like this for probably 90% of my life. I'm used to having it long. I'll either pull it back at the nape of my neck, a high ponytail (not the 80's style uincorn look though), or braid it down my back.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:18 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I'm right with you huntin_mama. I have had long hair for many years and over the past few, I just can't stand it to be down. 99% of the time, it's in a ponytail. I love the idea of having long hair, but yet what's the point when it's always back? I've often toyed with the idea of just chopping it all off...but chicken out. I'll be paying attention to this post!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:19 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Ponytails for me. I get up in the morning and the first 2 things I do is pee and pull up my hair. I can't stand for it to be down it gets on my nerves. However I can't sleep in a ponytail so it comes down at night. Now on extremely rare occasions I will wear it down or a half ponytail but rarely.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 8:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I always had hair to my waist. When I was in my mid 30s, I got a lot cut off - right below shoulders. It has been hovering around that length and middle back length for the past 10 years, with a few shorter cuts here and there. I just had it cut to just-above-shoulder-length again. I was just so sick of washing it (I have to wash my hair daily), so I am just going to be diligent about keeping it that length. It was always up in a pony anyway, so this works better for me. I don't dry my hair, either.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 8:36 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Mine was always long and I never had it down. it was always in the way or too heavy on my neck and shoulders. I cut it off and dontated it. It is now curly to the top of my shoulders and I don't miss it...
    Like you, I liked the idea of it but not the hassle of it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:56 PM on Jun. 26, 2011