Micro-Chip?

We just got two puppies and are considering micro-chipping them. Our vet does Home Again. From what I understand is it is $40 for a lifetime of being in the system and everyone has universal scanners now so that it doesn't matter if one place uses a different chip than another.

Anyone have any feedback, ideas, thoughts on micro-chipping?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 8:23 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Pets

• I think it is great! One of our dogs and our cat has Home Again and our other dog has...something else. If you even plan on traveling on a plane they HAVE to have microchips. And Home Again is good in other countris as well, unlike some microchips.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 8:29 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• What are the purpose of the micro-chips?
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 8:39 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Two of our three cats are microchipped, I think it's a great idea.

Mamaofficer: the purpose is to find the owner sooner if a pet runs off. It's a tiny chip inserted into the skin, or just under, of an animal that, when scanned, gives the owner information.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:52 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• microchipping is very good... and i think u have to pay llike 14.99 a year for it too. i work at a vet and we have ppl come in all the time that found a pet and we scan it. sadly alot of ppl do not micro chip their pet. it is a great idea. i just did my cat because she is an outdoor cat and i put break a way collars on her.. so many times i find that it fell off so the microchip is very important for me
    cnv13085

Answer by cnv13085 at 9:00 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I used to work with the shelter and I used to put them in myself. That brand as well. There is NO subscription needed. All they do is scan it, and it is registered online for them to check.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:12 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I absolutely recommend it. I plan to do it with all my pets. You don't have to renew your license every year which is money saved, it won't get lost/fall off like a tag might. Also, if you lose your dog and someone finds them and decides not to return him, your information will come up on the chip and not theirs which means you will be notified. It's amazing and much better than tattooing as a form of permanent i.d. Less painful and takes only about a second to insert. It's as small as a grain of rice so the dog is not uncomfortable at all.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 9:23 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• All of mine are microchipped. It is about 40 dollars for the vet to insert the chip and then there is like a 14 dollar fee when you call home again to put your information with the microchip number.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:51 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• One thing I will say is that My oldest dog was microchipped when she was 7 months old (she's almost 9 yrs old now) and last summer when the new vet scanned for the chip she could not find it. Sometimes, the chip works its way out of the body. So she got remicrochipped for free
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:59 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I think its a great idea.. i plan to get my dogs chipped soon!
    MommaB30

Answer by MommaB30 at 3:15 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I have heard that there is a very high correlation between micro-chipping and cancer. I would never micro chip my pets, and I would refuse to micro chip a child for the same reason. Do some research on the health risks.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 10:11 PM on Jun. 27, 2011