Boys: How do you teach an older sibling to be gentle with the baby during the first year?

I have boys that are 4 years apart. The oldest is crazy about the baby and wants to play or interact with him so much; touching him, laying beside him, mimicking his baby actions and it's so sweet. It's always been one-sided, but now the baby is older, sitting up, reaching and just mesmerized by everything his older brother says, does, or has. The baby initiates wanting to play, by using his voice to call him. They sometimes just giggle at each other, or just play near each other. It's beautiful! But sometimes, I feel that the oldest is getting too loud or too rambunctious and not being as careful as he normally is. I don't want the baby to get hurt and big brother would be devastated if he accidently hurt him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When you find out please let me know! DD has been hit in the face and kicked! He loves his sister but sometimes he has these moments where he just do the craziest things to her. She loves him to death she just sit and smile and do her baby talk. He gives her kisses when he goes outside to play but he has this habit of hurting her every now and then. I guess it is the boy in him idk. By the way he is 2 and she is 6 months. GL!
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 8:40 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• We don't let them alone together. We remind him to be gentle and really heap on the praise when he is gentle. We also practiced at lot with the cats. We got DS1 a "brother" (doll) that he plays with (feeds, bathes...) that has helped too.
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 8:50 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Constant teaching, showing, and encouraging!! I didn't have one that old (mine are much closer in age) but it took a lot of showing him how to do/play rather than being so rough. I also tried not to telll my sons NO when they were playing with the baby. I hated to discourage their desire to be with the baby. Instead I would stop them, remind them to be gentle, and show them what it looked like to be more gentle.

It takes a lot of time!! But, several months down the road you should start seeing a change. When the next baby was born, I was amazed at how good the older children were with the new one!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:09 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• it's normal for them to be that way. I tell him how importat it is & that he can hurt his baby sis
    giggleslotz

Answer by giggleslotz at 12:00 AM on Jun. 27, 2011