A few nursing questions. PLEASE HELP.

I am due any day now and I am so lost.

is it a much to wear a nursing bra? Will nursing pads stay in place in your normal bra? Does anyone else not use a nursing bra who breast feeds? Does anyone know how to make your own nursing pads? Manual pumps vs. electric?

Also any other tips and advice would be helpfull.

SpiffyMom

Asked by SpiffyMom at 10:37 AM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I would contact a lactation consultant to come out and help you get acquainted with what to do if you are lost. You can call your hospital and they will refer you. It will be worth it, trust me. As far as your questions....it is not a must to wear a nursing bra, but it is far easier and much less messy. I would invest in a couple. I got some great ones at Target for about $10-$15 each. Nursing pads do stay put in normal bras, but again, I would invest in some nursing bras. Some warn against using underwire bras because they may contribute to clogged ducts which is something you do not want! I purchased an electric pump because at that time, I had to go back to work and they are higher powered. But, if you have more time on your hands and not a lot of $$$, manual pumps are fine. I recommend Medela for pumps. They are expensive but well worth it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Hope I can help...
    Regular bras are fine. Nursing bras are just easier. Breat pads will stay in any kind of bra. My adivse is this.... Buy at least on nursing bra for when you are going to be out of the house and needing to breastfeed. Otherwise use whatever is most comfortable. Nursing pads, stay put in whatever kind of bra. Make your own for much cheaper! It's just a period pad in the shape of a circle. Get a thick pad cut in half and you've got a cheap pad. It looks a little funny through the shirt so again I'd get the real thing for outside the house (or company) :)
    Best of luck and congrats!!!
    happy2bmommy937

Answer by happy2bmommy937 at 10:55 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Let me tell you now....in the first 6 weeks it will feel to you as though that baby is starving. For the first week it is one wet diaper for each day of life until day 6. then 6-8 wets daily. As long as you have those there is no need to supplument anything. Most docs and nurses will try to get you to do it. Hang on for all it is worth mama.
    If you plan to go to work or anyhting I would use an electric pump. Many breastfeeding groups on cafemom please join one for support. Good luck and let me know how it is going!
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:56 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• You can get good nursing bras at Target for under $20. Totally worth it. If you use a regular bra then it will most likely fall apart in less than 6 months. Nursing pads stay really well. You can google making your own. I have been told that the easiest way is to buy some clothe diapers and cut some circles and sew around the edge. I wore a nursing bra until my son was around a year, then I would wear a normal bra occasionally (he nursed til he was 18 months). It is uncomfortable, plus under wires can cause mastitis or clogged milk ducts.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 11:00 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• con't:

As for pumps, an electric is way easier to use. Manuals can cramp your hand if you pump a lot. You can get a good one for pretty cheap. I just got the basic one at Target for like $25 - $30. It worked well for me, but I wasn't pumping at work or anything. Also, along the lines of pumping... if you can wait to start pumping until your milk supply is established (around 6 weeks) then you will have an easier time nursing. GL and feel free to pm me anytime. :) I love to chat about breastfeeding.
    reflect1light

• The others have posted the same things I would tell you. As far as making your own nursing pads. It is very simple. My Mom made me 10 sets. I thought she was nuts. She was not...lol. She took tshirt knit material and stacked about5 layers of it one on top of the other. Cut circles about 5 inches in diameter. That was for me because I have always had large breasts. If you are small reduce the diameter. If you have a serger, serge around the edges of all layers at the same time. If not use the smallest zig zag setting on your sewing machine. Sew artound the edges of all of them stacked at once. (5 layers per pad) Then use a straight stitch and sew a small x in the very center of the pad. They are comfortable. Won't stick to your skin and wash and dry beautifully.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:30 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• When using a period pad as a nursing pad, make sure the cut part is on top...can get kinda messy if not
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• nursing bras make it easier to BF, esp. at night. the thing with regular bras is, you cant really pull it down as easier as you would a nursing bra, all you have to do it un clip it and fold it down. the nursing pads should stay in place if your wearing the right size bra. for me, i didnt need nursing pads after about a month because my milk came regularly, and so iwasnt leaking out of nowhere like i did the first couple of weeks.
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 12:25 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• i had a manual breast pump from "AVENT". and i LOVE it. it worked great for me. i got the pack over at target and it came with 4 bottles, the pump, and a bag to store your milk in it. i was okay with one pump, cause i would pump one side while my daughter fed on the other side.
    dont let your baby feed on one side for so long, try to let ur baby have an equal amount of time on each side.
    sometimes when your baby is feeding, the other side will leak.
    the first 2 weeks will be a bit painful, but hang in there, cause in time, your nipples will toughen up and eventually you wont even feel your baby feeding.
    Good Luck
    kiliki_malie

• I only wear nursing bras, not because of the nursing pads, but because it is WAAAAYYYY easier to nurse with nursing bras. Try on some different styles and see what works for you. You are safe now to go ahead and buy a couple, then buy more once your milk comes in. I have both an electric pump and a hand pump, and I actually use the hand pump more, because it's more convenient (I can take it wherever I am in the house). I use it while I nurse my son. He takes one side, the pump takes the other. Don't try this until you have nursing down. Stick with it. The first few weeks are tough, but it's worth sticking through it. Don't let other people tell you to stop nursing; stop when you and your baby are ready. Good luck! Here's wishing you a smooth, easy labor. =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:41 AM on Dec. 15, 2008