How do get a five 1/2 year old motivated to pick up her toys?

My daughter sometimes helps pick up her toys, but i have to ask her. She use to help more when she was a baby! Any advice?

SOPHIASMOM

Asked by SOPHIASMOM at 9:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Mine are only 4 and 3 but I have them starting to put their toys away. They're given more than enough time to do so and if I go in the room any thing left out is "mine to take". I sometimes don't acutally have to take it. I lean over as if to pick it up and they run over to get it before me. But when you've been in the room for over an hour and you haven't put things away, I get to hold on to their favorite toy and when the room is finished they get it back. Now just the thought of mommy holding onto to "blankie" is enough to motivate mine. The room may not look like I did it, but the floor is clear. Good luck

Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 12:00 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Take away all the toys that she leaves out. She is old enough that she shouldn't need directions to pick up her toys.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• oh! hope this trick i found by accident works for you
    my daughter is almost four, hardly ever picks up her toys at him, she will sing the clean up song while i pick up her toys-lol
    so the other day , i say she needs to clean up ___ before taking out that, and she does not of course, and i say, "do you pick up your __ at school, she says yes, i say then you can pick __ up at home
    AND SHE DOES IT!
    has been working for a few days now

of course now that i said it, it will not work for me anymore-LOL Murphy's Law

here is hoping it works for both of us all SUmmer long!!
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• tell her that's her job. i have my kids pick up the family room before dinner, and then straighten up their rooms every day before bed. if they don't pick up the family room then they know that means no dessert and if they don't pick up their rooms that means no bedtime stories. i just say clean up time and they go. since they pick up their rooms every day it only takes them a few minitues. the family room maybe 10 min. bc that is where they have been playing all day lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:20 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• typo, that makes no sense, sorry

hardly ever picks up her toys at HOME
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Thanks all! She just picked up her toys as i directed her! lol
    SOPHIASMOM

Comment by SOPHIASMOM (original poster) at 9:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I give my 5 year old a set time to pick up all the toys, which ever ones are left over get picked up and put in black trash bags.. she can earn them back or donate to the resale store...
    mikailas_mom

Answer by mikailas_mom at 11:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I take away all toys that dont get picked up in a set amount of time! They go in a closet or in the shed for one month!
    DomsMama07

Answer by DomsMama07 at 1:29 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Take the toys she leaves out and put them in a bag until she starts picking up her toys. It worked with my son.
    dixiegurl223626

Answer by dixiegurl223626 at 9:11 AM on Jun. 27, 2011