Can you train a cat not to scratch furniture?

SOPHIASMOM

Asked by SOPHIASMOM at 9:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Pets

• I was told to get a scratching post. So far it has worked.
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 9:28 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I was going to suggest a scratching post as well. ^^^^^

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 9:30 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• she loves the edge of the bed or couch versus her scratching post. How about a cat tree???
    SOPHIASMOM

Comment by SOPHIASMOM (original poster) at 9:32 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I'm not sure....I don't own cats but I'll bump for you.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 9:34 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• thanks banana-bear!! I am new to owning a cat!! lol
    SOPHIASMOM

Comment by SOPHIASMOM (original poster) at 9:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Oh, you could also get a spray bottle and spray the cat with water when you catch it scratching.....

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 10:18 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Like what banana-bear said, but we use the kids' watergun cuz it has great distance coverage, shoots a thin stream (less spray/mess), and uit's easier to hold a trigger than to pump one. ;-)

Not sure if your cat goes crazy or gets cuddly/sweet on catnip, but you can try it as well. I have 2 cats, 1 goes hyper-aggressive, the other gets all cute-n-cuddly, so I can't put catnip in scratched areas without the aggressive one wailing on the cuddly one. LOL

Use furniture polish that's citrus scented, or use other items with the same citrus scent. Heck, if you're desperate, a small container of lemongrass will keep them away from fave scratching spots plus it works wonders as a spider/ant repellant. ;-)

We do have scratching posts too, on every floor, and it works for the most part... until the post falls apart from use. Then they go back to scratching up the house. So it's not really training, more of a deterrenc
    domesticrecluse

Answer by domesticrecluse at 5:46 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Yes! Every time you see the kitty scratching the furniture take him/her to the scratching post or board-my cat preferred a horizontal scratching thing made of cardboard that is available even in the grocery store in the pet food isle usually and they are inexpensive. Put his/her paws on it and gently move them so they get the idea. Praise them every time they use it and that is what worked for me.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 8:06 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I have a scratching post but they prefer my couch!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:29 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• LOL too funny. thanks everyone. i too, have a cardboard scratcher from the grocery store, and i do the spray bottle as well. Heck.. i think cuz she is only 6 months young and soo wild. she loves cat nip.. she gets wilder..lol and i will try the praise, and lemongrass. Thank you again. :)
    SOPHIASMOM

Comment by SOPHIASMOM (original poster) at 2:05 PM on Jun. 27, 2011