I'm a new mother and I don't think my baby's getting any milk. I'm trying a pump and barely a few drops comes out in 15 min. Do you know if somethings wrong or if I keep trying will get better?

I've broken down and given her the small bottles of formula the dr. gave me, but would still like to breastfeed if possible.

Lonnita

Asked by Lonnita at 9:32 PM on Jun. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pumping is not a good way to gauge milk production, EVER! Just nurse baby whenever she wants, as long as she's having enough wet and dirty diapers and is gaining weight that is all that matters. Also, giving formula will only sabotage your milk supply breast milk is supply and demand. Nurse, nurse, nurse! You can do it Mama, your body knows just what to do! =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 9:34 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• How many wet and poopy diapers is she having? Does she seem satisfied after a feeding?

Pumping is not a really good way to tell if you are making enough...some people have a tough time getting anything when they pump. Plus babies are more effective at getting milk from the breast than a pump is.

The more bottles of formula you give, you will beless likely at making enough milk. Nurse and nurse often.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Keep nursing, it's supply and demand. Like the others said, you need to keep nursing, and keep an eye on the amount of wet/poopy diapers. If you're concerned maybe look into talking to a lactation specialist.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:38 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I heard if you eat oatmeal it helps you have more milk
    roxy0522

Answer by roxy0522 at 9:41 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I had to suppliment too- my milk didnt come in for 12 days!!! But keep trying to nurse every time the baby is hungry- the more you nurse, the faster and stronger your milk will come in... then you can back waaay off of the supplimenting!!! Do a google search for "La Leche League"- a very useful website with TONS of info on breast feeding... Dont give up!!!! Its really tough- but you can do this if you stay determined mama!!!!!!!!
    LilMerMama

Answer by LilMerMama at 9:41 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I breastfed all 5 of my kids, but never got hardly anything when I pumped! Supplementing with formula bottles will sabotage your supply. Instead of relying on a pump for how much you are getting, count wet diapers - she should have between 6-8/day. If you are getting that many, she's eating enough.

Answer by missanc at 9:42 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• It took several days for my milk to come in so I had to supplement as well. I always nursed first then gave the bottle since she was hungry. Once it came in I threw away the formula. Just keep at it and try not to get discouraged.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 10:41 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• My breast went dry after 2 months,i think they messed-up and gave me the shot to dry me up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Pumps tell you NOTHING about supply. Dipes tell all. 6-8 changes per day.

Anon 10:37... the dry up shot was taken off the market due to the side effect of death. If you were given it, run away from the doc!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:35 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• It could be the pump ur using maybe let her/he latch on

Chelhaidax

Answer by Chelhaidax at 3:30 PM on Jun. 27, 2011