Discipline POIG

My DD is almost 3 and is truely a "strong willed child." However, her version of having a strong will does not come in the form of tantrums. It comes in the form of direct defiance or non compliance. You tell her to do something and she will just look at you, or sink to the floor and frown and glare at you for an hour (really. this girl holds a grudge like none I have ever met). Or you tell her not to do something and she waits until she thinks you aren't looking and does it. We give time outs. Doesn't work. We take toys away. Doesn't work. We spanked. Doesn't work. We take away favorite food. Doesn't work. We take away TV. Doesn't work. The girl literally has NOTHING in her room except for a bed and a dresser that she can't get into.

Con't Below

icook

Asked by icook at 11:24 AM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Our most recent battle is over the blinds in her room. These blinds (even though they are "economy") cost almost $3000!! So, her one rule during nap time is "Do not touch the blinds." We go in there after her nap and find the cord all wrapped around the slats, tucked under other cords, etc. We punish every which way we can think of, and NOTHING is working!!!! One punishment was even eating unseasoned zucchini (a food she would previously pretend to gag on even when smothered in cheese). She just looked at us and inhaled it, then went along her merry way. It's like when she's being punished, she knows it, and breezes through it like it is nothing and then keeps doing the activity that she was punished for in the first place (the blinds are not the only issue, just the most long running one at this point). We are running out of ideas. I need help.

icook

Answer by icook at 11:24 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• ask your pedi. maybe they know its a stage your daughter is going through. i never heard of a kid who handled things so well like that...
    Anonymous

• My son and your daughter could rule the world together. I thought you were describing him for a moment. LOL He's been that way for a while. I find what works is when he asks me to do something for him I glare at him the same way he glares at me when I ask something of him. Also, when he does something to annoy me I do something that annoys him. He'll pretend it doesn't bother him for a while but eventually he'll cave. Sometimes you have to give a taste of the child's own medicine for them to truly see why their behavior is unacceptable.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 2:27 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• id put her in time out and she could look at the wall with her frown ;o)
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 5:41 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• id even get a mirror so she can look how goofy she looks when she is making the frown,

LexsiesMommy

• Yeah... time outs do nothing to change the behavior that she did that got her put in time out. She just breezes through it, and goes right back to whatever it was that got her stuck there. I've tried time outs in a chair, time outs facing a wall, time outs in Daddy's office behind a door, time outs in the laundry room, time outs in her room, time outs on the steps, the list goes on and on and on and on and on.....
    icook

Answer by icook at 9:02 AM on Dec. 15, 2008